DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Batch Flipping Footage After Capture (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/72279-batch-flipping-footage-after-capture.html)

Dave Perry July 25th, 2006 07:17 PM

Batch Flipping Footage After Capture

I use MPEGStreamClip for a lot of things and find its batching feature quite useful inconverting HDV footage to other formats when needed. However, if I purchase a 35mm adapter that doesn't flip the image, I'll need some way to batch flip the clips after capture and before I import them into FCP.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Chris Harris July 30th, 2006 03:03 AM

Give VirtualDub a try.

Dave Perry July 30th, 2006 09:03 AM

Thanks Chris but VirtualDub is windows only.

Brendon Whateley July 30th, 2006 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Perry
Thanks Chris but VirtualDub is windows only.

So which OS do you need this for?

Ben Winter July 30th, 2006 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Perry
I'll need some way to batch flip the clips after capture and before I import them into FCP.

Since Final Cut Pro is an Apple-only product, I'm pretty sure that means Mac OS X.

Dave Perry July 30th, 2006 06:54 PM

Ben is correct. I took it for granted that mentioning "FCP" would make it clear. My bad :)

Any way, anyone have any thoughts?

I guess I could make an Automater workflow to use with QuickTime since QT will flip images, but I've never really gotten the hang of Automater.

Lars Steenhoff August 1st, 2006 11:31 AM

squared5 has told me that 90 and 180 degrees rotations wil be included in one of the next versions of mpeg streamclip.
So that could be your solution then, now just have to wait for this version to come out.

Frank Hool August 1st, 2006 04:28 PM

MenteMaggica's Cinematiq does image flip. How much it automated is... i don't know. I'm pretty sure it exist for PC but for Mac - not a single steady proof. But You can ask right from developer himself - Alain Bellon.

Jim OQuinn August 13th, 2006 11:16 AM

No question you'll want to flop the footage *before* it gets into FCP. Otherwise you'll have to edit upside down and then apply an effect to the timeline to "flop" the footage. All in all a pretty big hiccup in the workflow for me.

It would be really nice if FCP had the ability to flop the footage on import.

Amos Kim August 13th, 2006 07:51 PM

Why can't you flip it after capture? Does it degrade the image? Doesn't FCP have a image flip feature?

Dave Perry August 13th, 2006 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amos Kim
Why can't you flip it after capture? Does it degrade the image? Doesn't FCP have a image flip feature?

It will not degrade the image.

You can flip it after capture but every time you make an edit to the clip that's been flipped it will need rendering.

I guess one could capture everything, put it in a timeline, let it render, export as a Final Cut QT movie or movies, re-import them into the project or a new one, then get rid of the original footage or archive it. That just seems like too much work.

Frank Hool August 14th, 2006 12:16 AM

i developed for myself following workflow:

1. capture (as it is)
2. size downconverting, flipping and recompressing - because
i use my laptop which isn't particular videoediting beast
3. editing - small proxyfiles
4. replacing - place original files instead of proxy files
5. adding necessary filters - deinterlace and flip to editing project
6. output - as you see original footage get only one time recompressed.

Jim OQuinn August 14th, 2006 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amos Kim

What Dave said, plus you have to pull clips onto the timeline from footage that is upside down and backwards. Makes editing a little rough (to say the least).

Here is what the viewer window in FCP looks like:

-> http://dev-null.com/upsidedown.jpg

This and the fact that you have to render clips on the timeline to flop the footage are two BIG hiccups in what would otherwise be a pretty smooth workflow.