What's The Latest on the Letus35 Hd100? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 21st, 2006, 09:20 AM   #16
Major Player

Focus assist works just fine, thanks.

Quyen
Old August 21st, 2006, 09:30 AM   #17
Inner Circle

In between editing sessions on this post Quyen has posted a solution but here's mine anyway since I cannot totally erase my comment box now.

I have looked up the focus assist function in the manual. Unfortunately, I don't have a HD100 handy to test on so all I can talk about are assumptions which may be totally wrong.

Focus assist in the JVC apparently gives the operator a choice of selecting a colour which will then prevail in areas of the image where the focus is as its sharpest.

It seems that the detection and display of sharpness areas might be generally similar in behaviour to the zebra pattern function for over-brightness areas and might follow the electronic rules for autofocus in a camera which has this function excepting that it simply highlights an area of sharpness already found rather than cause an autofocus system to chase it.

It is not the same as the Sony pushbutton system which simply enlarges a central section of the image to enable easier manual management by the operator.

I expect that the behaviour of the focus assist will be the same as for direct-to-camera imaging.

With a groundglass disk or Letus vibrating screen stationary (switched off), I would expect the focus assist would display a sharpness highlight across most of the frame.

With the groundglass moving, the focus assist might remain highlighted across the whole frame but it might drop out on the out-of-focus bokeh areas or become a intermittant pattern in these areas. If the shutter speed is fast enough to freeze the groundglass "grain", then it might revert to highlighting the whole frame area.

It might be sensitive to exposure levels as this affects the visibility of the groundglass texture. If this is the case, it might then serve also as an indicator of the likelyhood of flicker when apertures are close to critical for a particular groundglass.

I expect the behaviour would be the same either for relay via a macro (close-up) lens on front of the standard Fujinon lens or with the newer direct relay system.

This is all pure supposition on my part. One of the beta testers should be able to make more sensible comment than I on this subject.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 06:06 PM   #18
Major Player

Has anybody done a light loss test for the letus hd100?
Amos Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 08:41 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I'm planning on getting one next month. Right now, I'm moving to a new home and current contract I'm working on is winding down. On the hope and expectation I'll still be employed in Sep, I'll be getting a Letus. If not, then I'll be getting one later. Either way I plan on getting one.
Old August 21st, 2006, 11:05 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Regard my speculative comments posted above about JVC and reference to the manual, it seems I might be talking out of my hat so I suggest ignore my comments entirely.

The Sony Z1P as well as the expanded focus feature, has a "peaking" function which is a form of focus assist which also can be highlighted by colour choices.

This however introduces a colour cast across the entire frame, not selectively in areas of the image. If the JVC focus assist operates in a similar manner, then my comments above are most definitely rubbish to be ignored.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 02:10 AM   #21
Major Player

Regarding focus assist. In my limited testing to date with the JVCHD100 and Letus there is no problem at all with focus assist.

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Rob, the most important question is, image quality. Some light loss is to be expected so no issues there. Does image quality meet your expectations.
Old August 27th, 2006, 11:23 PM   #23
Major Player

Joe,

Totally agreed. I am looking to use the device on four shourt films I am writing but wont commit myself to doing that until I am satisfied that image quality is upto scratch.

I am waiting on my rod supports before I use it on my HD100 as I will not use it without those supports. Once I have those supports I will do some testing and will post the results with my observations as to image quality. I have done a few minutes and digitised it and it does look pretty good - just totally initial impressions.

Rob
Old September 5th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Hi Rob, just wondering how things are going with the HD100/Letus setup?
Old September 5th, 2006, 06:07 PM   #25
Major Player

Yes, things are moving along. Received my Cavision rods for the HD100. I have only had the opportunity to do some initial testing. I took some shots of a subject indoors with both the Letus and the stock Fujinon lens so that the two can be compared. That I hope will be an interesting comparison for many.

I will try and post what I have done this week with my experiences in using it.

It DOES look very filmic compared to the Fujinon.

Rob
Old September 15th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #26
Regular Crew

is anyone going to post up test shots using the letusHD100???.....i'm waiting.....i've been waiting......i'm on my knees and begging
Abel Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 12:42 AM   #27
Major Player

Ok, I feel terrible now that I have had the Letus for a while and done some shots and not posted anything. Been working furiously on a lot filming.

I will try and get something up this weekend. Just shots done indoors and people can make up their own minds.

After I put them up I can answer any questions.

Rob
Old September 16th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #28
Major Player

Ok, here is some footage shot on HD111 and the Letus.

Sorry, they are rather dull. I will have a bit more time in the coming week to post some more shots.

Both at HDV30p using Paolo's TruColour 3.

Letusfocus indoors is with 85mm nikkon. Use of small practical light from the left and the key light is in fact the sunlight from the right through a large window. Cant recall what I used for Letushousemess.

Please forgive the state of my sitting room as evidenced by Letushousemess. The banana was delicious.

Anyway two shots to satisfy the Letus hunger out there for a couple of days while I get my act together and post some proper shots.

Indoors you are losing a stop of light and as stated by others. It is of course therefore essential to light properly indoors but we want to do this anyway so it is not an issue.

There are two main issues that are "concerns" at this stage. The first regards the the Nikon/Canon interchangeable mount at the front of the letus. This is not sufficient to adequately hold the lens securely. However, more importantly is the issue of whether you can actually see the ground glass while doing any kind of camera moves. It may be that I just need to play around with backfocus a bit more so no concluded judgments at all yet. I will post some more shots shortly and say a lot more about this device.

The links:

http://homepage.mac.com/rcastiglione/letusfocus.mov

http://homepage.mac.com/rcastiglione/Letushousemess.mov

Rob
Old September 17th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #29
Regular Crew

New test video shot with LetusHD100

Hey Everybody !!!
I just finished first part of tests with my JVC HD101E and the LetusHD100. In my opinion it works nice. You can see it at :

http://strony.aster.pl/tomson05/vide...est(H.264).avi (Save target...)

To watch video I recommend VLC media player.
It was Recorded in Poland few days ago and quickly made on PP2.
All shot in SD 480 60P mode(to give great slow-motion look) - I'm still waiting for HD200 and 72060P mode:) CC was done with Boris Continuum 3.0 and my favourite MultiTone Mix effect.
Lenses used : Canon FD 50mm 1:1.4, Canon FD 28mm 1:2
Waitning for your opinion and advice:)

Best Regards.
Tomasz Ostrowski.

Last edited by Tomasz Ostrowski; September 18th, 2006 at 05:17 AM.
Tomasz Ostrowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #30
Regular Crew

thanks....
Abel Vang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods