DVX100 and Letus flip ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 19th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #1
Inner Circle

DVX100 and Letus flip ?

Hello

We are trying to set up a DVX100 and a letus35 flip, but got some problem.
The window on monitor has visible edges on left and right that require heavy zooming. we found that these black border are from the mirror box, not from the gg plate.
We conclude to a problem on the adaptor and returned it.
The new one shows exactly the same limitation.
zooming is of course mandatory to get the full frame picture, but while top and bottom are easily eliminated, left and right "margins" require almost full zoom to get rid of, like if the window in the mirror box is too small, or the picture is not a 4/3 frame.
Has somebody any experience with an DVX100+letus35 flip that could be used as comparison ?

other question: after having dismantled both a flip and non flip version, i discover that the gg side is facing the camera, not the lens.
Should not the gg be mounted with the gg side facing the other side for best efficiency ?
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The consensus of most builders of 35mm relay devices seems to be to have the groundlass surface facing the camcorder lens.

For flip arrangements which incorporate relay via a macro (close-up lens) into a camcorder with a built-in non-removable lens, there seem to be some practical limits you have to stay within, whether you are using prisms or mirrors.

It mainly relates to how close you need to position the camcorder to the groundglass to aquire the chosen frame size off the groundglass. The camcorder zoom range (or lack of it) can cause that limitation in combination with the power of the macro (close-up) lens.

There is little room to change things, because alteration of any one specification eventually interacts negatively with others.

Another issue is keeping the size of the relay device within practical and useful limits.

Designs and styles may differ so much that they may appear entirely unrelated but beneath the skin they stay within common limitations.

For an image target of 24mm x 18mm, a 4:3 1/3" camcorder CCD and a +7 dioptre, the zoom-in range appears to sit between about 50mm to 70mm with the Sony cameras I have played around with.

I found that a DVX100 (PAL)with the +7 dioptre I used on the sony cams had to be zoomed in nearly all the way with my own prism erecting (flip device) when aquiring a 24m x 18mm frame off the groundglass.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The consensus of most builders of 35mm relay devices seems to be to have the groundlass surface facing the camcorder lens.

For flip arrangements which incorporate relay via a macro (close-up) into a camcorder with a built-in non-removable lens, there seem to be some practical limits you have to stay within, whether you are using prisms or mirrors.

It mainly relates to how close you need to position the camcorder to the groundglass to aquire the chosen frame size off the groundglass. The camcorder zoom range (or lack of it) can cause that limitation in combination with the power of the macro (close-up) lens.

There is little room to change things, because alteration of any one specification eventually interacts negatively with others.

Another issue is keeping the size of the relay device within practical and useful limits.

Designs and styles may differ so much that they may appear entirely unrelated but beneath the skin they stay within common limitations.

For a 4:3 24mm x 18mm roundglass image frame, a 1/3" CCD and a +7 dioptre, the zoom-in range appears to sit between about 50mm to 70mm with the Sony cameras I have played around with.

I found that a DVX100 (PAL)with the +7 dioptre had to be zoomed in nearly all the way with my prism erecting (flip device) when aquiring a 24m x 18mm frame off the groundglass.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods