Subway train lighting NYC - shooting guerilla, anything I should be aware of at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 30th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Subway train lighting NYC - shooting guerilla, anything I should be aware of

I hope I am posting in the right thread. Apologize if I am not - I couldn't find a "lighting" thread anywhere

Hi, I will be shooting a scene in New York subway this labor day weekend and I am wondering if there is anything technical lighting wise I should be aware of (I know about the cops:)) )

Camera: JVC HD100U HDV Camcorder
Guerilla. I will not have my own light. In any case, I am shooting the whole film with available light.

I'd like the footage to be with contrast, but not gritty. Ideally, consistent with the attached images from previous scenes.

I am planning to do most of th shooting inside the train car, so I am thinking about the interior car lights, etc. Do they flicker, etc?

I'd realy appreciate your feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Subway train lighting NYC - shooting guerilla, anything I should be aware of-8stones_14.png   Subway train lighting NYC - shooting guerilla, anything I should be aware of-8stones_01.jpg  

Last edited by Rati Oneli; August 30th, 2006 at 09:13 PM.
Rati Oneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I would personally lock my shutter on 1/60th to try and eliminate as much as possible any fluorescent flicker. The NYC subway uses varying qualities of fluorescent lights -- I've seen mostly cheap stuff but some of the newer cars, thinking 4/5 train here mostly, have those nice Philips lights with a high CRI (~90). If you're going for b/w like the pictures suggest, then flicker is probably your greatest foe in this case (and shooting at 1/60 is all you can do to get rid of it) -- flicker and the police. Good luck.

mg
Matthew Groff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 06:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Couldn't find a lighting thread? There's a whole forum full of em. ;-)

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=41

Good luck,
Bill
Old August 30th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

but nothing on subway lighting :)
Rati Oneli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods