DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   ObscuraCam software released (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/74902-obscuracam-software-released.html)

Rob Scott September 5th, 2006 03:09 PM

ObscuraCam software released

Hello all! The ObscuraCam software -- which currently only supports the Silicon Imaging SI-1300CL industrial camera -- has been released. It is free/open source, available under the GPL.

It works -- on my system anyway -- but is still very much under development. The web site -- http://www.obscuracam.com/ -- is also in a very rough state.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Rob Lohman September 5th, 2006 03:55 PM

Wow Rob, that is excellent news! I had no idea you continued this, sorry we
lost touch. I'm sure gonna check it out. Do you have any screenshots of the
capture & convert software? (you can inline upload them these days)

Hope everything is well over there!

All the best,

Rob Scott September 5th, 2006 04:19 PM

Hey Rob! I will try to put in some screen shots tomorrow.

John Wyatt September 9th, 2006 02:53 AM

Rob -- what a coincidence! I was about to post to Wayne, that I still had no contact for Ben syverson (who had coded a converter called linbayer), and I wondered whatever happened to "the two Robs" working on capture/convert. Then I see this thread! Great news. Can you tell us more about it, particularly how it might be used with other cameras. For example, I have a Sumix M73 which I believe uses the same sensor as the SI 1300 (?), so how easy would that fit? Great to see you back, Rob, and congratulations.
John.

Rob Scott September 9th, 2006 08:43 AM

Other cameras

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Wyatt
Can you tell us more about it, particularly how it might be used with other cameras. For example, I have a Sumix M73...

John, right now the software is quite modular internally, but current it is hard-wired to the SI-1300 to some extent. My next task is to pull out the SI-specific code and design a plugin interface to support other types of cameras.

As I get further along, I will be posting documentation in the ObscuraCam site.

Rob Scott September 9th, 2006 11:16 AM

Supporting Sumix camera

John, I downloaded the documentation and software for the Sumix M73 and it looks like it should be straightforward to support. For 24 fps, though, the M72 appears to be a better choice -- you can get larger pixels (and larger imaging area) at 1280x1024.

I would love to add support for the Sumix, but I'm a little strapped for cash at the moment. If you could find someone to get me a loaner ...

Edit: Do you happen to know what "Global reset" means? I assume (hope) it's similar to global shutter. If that's the case, the M73 might be a better choice after all, since the M72 does not have the global reset feature.

Rob Scott September 9th, 2006 11:57 AM

Screen shot

1 Attachment(s)
It's not much to see, but here is a screen shot from ObscuraCap in capture mode. It's not perfect yet -- note the "0.0 fps" display. The upper portion of the screen is a 640x360 16:9 "eyepiece" preview. There is also a 4:3 mode. It's a full-screen interface: no menus (etc.) during shooting.

John Wyatt September 10th, 2006 03:45 AM

Rob -- forgot to ask: is this software Linux-only? I made a mistake earlier, the M73 is more like the SI 3300, not the SI 1300. "If you could find someone to get me a loaner..." -- I'm using mine imminently for a short film, and I don't think Sumix will lend one themselves. For more info on the M73 camera see Noah Yuan-Vogel's thread here on Alt Imaging called "My little DIY camera project". Noah is doing his own modification to the supplied camera application so you might like to speak to him; he's much more clued up on the camera and going much deeper with the software than me.

Regards,
John.

Rob Scott September 10th, 2006 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Wyatt
is this software Linux-only?

No, it's Windows-only at this point. Most of the code is general enough to be easily ported, however.
Quote:

I'm using mine imminently for a short film, and I don't think Sumix will lend one themselves.
I may contact Sumix anyway; they might see this as an opportunity to market to indie filmmakers.
Quote:

For more info on the M73 camera see Noah Yuan-Vogel's thread here on Alt Imaging called "My little DIY camera project".
Thanks, I'll check in with him.

Forrest Schultz September 10th, 2006 12:04 PM

Rob, is there someway to get past the rolling shutter. I mean, does the software allow you to double the frame rate while only capturing every other. such as 48fps becomes 24fps. and if it can do this, what max resolution can this be done with the Si-1300. im guessing the sensor runs at 48mhz, or can it be overclocked to do 60mhz without being a a rocket scientist, i am very limited in hardware and software skills.

Rob Scott September 10th, 2006 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forrest Schultz
does the software allow you to double the frame rate while only capturing every other.

That's definitely something I'm shooting for, though it would require a higher-end CameraLink frame grabber that I currently have.
Quote:

im guessing the sensor runs at 48mhz, or can it be overclocked to do 60mhz
I'm pretty sure the sensor can be overclocked in this fashion, but again, it depends on how many frames you can suck out of it in a timely fashion.

John Wyatt September 11th, 2006 03:55 AM

Rob -- "I may contact Sumix anyway" -- good idea. The Sumix support people have always been very helpful to me, though I've not had contact with their marketing people.

John.

Forrest Schultz September 12th, 2006 11:36 AM

rob so will the camera directly hook up to a pc or does a frame grabber need to go inbetween. if so, how much is it for the whole package, (the si-1300 camera and frame grabber) thank you.

Rob Scott September 12th, 2006 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forrest Schultz
will the camera directly hook up to a pc or does a frame grabber need to go inbetween

The SI-1300 uses CameraLink, so you will need a frame grabber. If I can find a way to support the Sumix camera, it would plug directly into the USB port.
Quote:

how much is it for the whole package, (the si-1300 camera and frame grabber)
I believe the SI-1300 is ~$2000 and the three grabber options are $500, $1000 and $1500 (32 bit/33 MHz, 32 bit/66MHz, 64 bit/66 MHz). So the basic price would be $2500 (plus computer).

The reason for a higher-end grabber would be to pull in a higher frame rate, and throw away every other frame; this would reduce the rolling shutter artifacts substantially.