SGpro Revision 2/FX1 footage - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 12th, 2006, 05:58 AM   #16
Major Player

We are working towards a microwax optional GG solution...but I'll take that elsewhere for fear of high jacking Wayne's thread here.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 07:23 AM   #17
Major Player

Next footage uploaded

OK, i've uploaded 1 of 3 of the exterior footage. I've also edited my first post to add this at the bottom. This was shot with the following lenses:

Canon FD:
24mm F2
28mm F1.8
50mm F1.4
85mm F1.8

The file is 60MB:

http://www.sgpro.co.uk/SGpror2_FX1e_brighton_marina.wmv

And some full frame grabs from the footage above:

http://www.sgpro.co.uk/flowers.jpg

http://www.sgpro.co.uk/flag.jpg

http://www.sgpro.co.uk/appartments.jpg

All of the footage was shot in Cineframe25 mode.
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Cineframe 25! This looks so awesome.
Thomas Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #19
Regular Crew

No ca, no distortion and no flickering as i can see.
I am sure that if the aperture wasn't wide open in some shots, it would be even better.

Great work Wayne!
Theodoros Chliapas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wood
It's pretty bad when you start noticing the number of aperture blades on spec highlights during a focus rack:-)
Is this a critique to the footage's bokeh or to bad bokehs? It sounded a little confusing.
The bokeh on these clips are just gorgeous!
In fact it's the best bokeh I ever seen around here, including footage from the M2, Letus whatever version, G35, MPIC, Brevis or any other tryouts and product wannabes and custom jobs.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #21
Major Player

Michael, I have nothing but respect for Wayne's ongoing work to improve his product. The comment can be classified as facetious self-deprecation. I've been looking at so much adapter footage lately that I tend to notice the number of blades in the lens aperture :-)

Wayne, do you have a pic of the 28 and 85mm f1.8 lenses? That's a near perfect collection.

Also, looking at the footage, I'd guess you've backed off the diffusion level a bit in favour of less light loss and better sharpness? The spinner looks nice and solid. Evidently you've got an effective collet for the element. Kudos :-)
Old September 12th, 2006, 09:53 PM   #22
Inner Circle

As I am on the wrong end of a 300 metre overhead copper pair landline, a 60mb download is not a practical option, however on the strength of the .jpg images, very well done. I like the "character study" with the cigarette and the backlights.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 03:59 AM   #23
Major Player

Michael: Thanks for the kind words

Dennis: I know exactly what you mean, heck I can't even watch a film anymore without noticing the aperture blades on highlights. By time i've counted i've missed the story ;)

Regarding the lenses, the 28mm is shown in this pic: http://www.sgpro.co.uk/SGpro_r2_FX1.jpg . This lens was the best find. Sigma 28mm F1.8 Asperical, brand new all in wrapping and box, £22 on ebay! Its a really sharp lens, only thing is it has a green bias compared to the others, this is evedent in the Brighton Marina footage.

Bob: Perhaps I can send you footage on DVD like you sent me your prism tests on DVD.
Old September 13th, 2006, 04:19 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wood
Michael, I have nothing but respect for Wayne's ongoing work to improve his product. The comment can be classified as facetious self-deprecation. I've been looking at so much adapter footage lately that I tend to notice the number of blades in the lens aperture :-)
You say that as if it was a bad or uncommon thing. The blades shape look better than fuzzy circles in my opinion and you see it all the time in 35mm originated material from big screen Hollywood features. I don’t see the problem really. As I said Wayne’s bokeh is the best so far, very film like and it seems the sharpest footage too. I think he’s proving a spinner is the way to go.
Or were you saying it’s bad when you start seeing the blades meaning you have been looking at footage for too long and are now paying attention and noticing even the little normal details, but there’s nothing bad or abnormal about the bokeh?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 04:37 AM   #25
Major Player

Michael,

I think Dennis was implying the second, saying its bad that we now notice this so much.

Dennis, yes the diffussion was backed off only a little from the Rev 1's GG's. Its very slight, though.
Old September 13th, 2006, 06:45 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Congratulations Wayne

Hi Wayne, and others here in this forum.

I Congratulate you here to for the SGPro. Its an amasing step forward. When I'm looking at the footage, and pictures, I'm stunned. Have no words how beautyfull the bokeh, and the sharpness is. Of cours we cant compare to a cine lens, but its simply beautyfull. Never seen sharpness like this in all the adapters that I saw footage from.
Boica Zsolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 09:29 AM   #27
Major Player

Backing off diffusion is not necessarily a bad thing. The impression of greater DOF, for those who find it important, can be achieved with greater diffusion, or just stepping back and using a longer focal length lens. I've always tended towards the sharper side of things, as you've done, to keep light loss down and image sharpness high.

For adapter makers, the desire for max DOF at full wide apertures sometimes flies in the face of the goal of max image quality. Stop down aperture to get better performance from your lens, DOF gets deeper. Open it wide, lens performance suffers, but DOF is shallower. Increaase diffusion, image gets softer. It's the juggling of these variables that makes each adapter unique.
Old September 13th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Wayne.

If you can send a DVD this would be much appreciated.

I have made some negative discoveries in my own design which I cover in my latest post on the original Agus35 thread. Its not a big deal but explains why I hit the wall for resolution.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Hey Wayne!

I've been reading up on the SgPro and I think at this stage, it's never been better. I have a few questions for you however:

- I noticed the extension tube with the setup. Will that be the same for other cameras or it'll just be for the fx1?
I'm starting to wonder how far away the adapter is gonna be when attached to an XL2.

- On the subject of XL2, have you had any XL2 users with the SgPro?
I've been looking all over and most SgPro users use them on everything else except XL2. I can only imagine the setup to look like the XL2 + M2 since both adapters look similar.

- I think I might have missed this but what's the update on the PL mount for the SgPro?

- Lastly, by interchangeable mounts, you mean that I can switch from a Nikon to a Canon with no hassle right? How much for an additional mount?

thanks
Zulkifli Yusof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #30
Major Player

Zulkifli,

The increased length in the Rev.2 will be the same for all cams. Because of the slim profile of the enclosure, it does make the tube look fairly long. I think the actual distance from lens mount to camcorder thread is actually shorter then the M2, though.

I have had users of the XL1, Xl2 and XLH1 for the SGpro Revision 1, however i've had no feedback from them. However, the XL2 is guaranteed to work with the SGpro Rev.2. The support rods have offset holes machined ready for the XL series.

We are working on the PL mount now. We think its likely that it will become available at the end of October.

All mounts are interchangeable. To swap, the Rev.2 mounts are held via 3 bolts. These can be unscrewed from the front (no need to open the box) and new mount replaced. Also, the difference in register (flange focal length) is machined into the actual mounts, so there is no need to open the box and start changing the GG position!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods