HC3e "Cinematic Mode" is "Cineframe 25" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 14th, 2006, 01:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HC3e "Cinematic Mode" is "Cineframe 25"

under key features, note the "cinematic mode"

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...t%20Connectors

Does anyone know if "Cinematic Mode" is the same as "Cineframe 25"??????
Donnie Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #2
Major Player

I think, all Sony HD-s have Cineframe. So i'm pretty sure this is it.
Avoid switch on that button.
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 05:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Hool
Avoid switch on that button.
Are you saying that Cineframe25 is bad? I was under the impression that is was very good from the footage i've seen.
Donnie Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:10 PM   #4
Major Player

Donnie,

There are plenty of reasons for and against Cineframe mode. Obviously Franks opinion of it is low, but it's merely an opinion and nothing more. If you like the look of Cineframe25 use it. I personally think it is the only Cineframe mode worth a damn. I like the look of it. The only reason I can think of not to use it would be if you plan on doing a film out, because of the drop in reolution. Even then it wouldn't be terrible I'd imagine. The resolution would still be higher than that of a DVX100, and plenty of films have been shot with that.

The bottomline is this, if you like the look it gives you, use it.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Well you shouldn't transfer interlaced footage to film so the resolution must be lost at some point.

CF24 is the one that truly sucks (makes image jittery etc.) CF25 seems to be just a good deinterlace done in camera. What I have heard is that at least with the HC1 all manual control is disabled while in CF mode, that's not too nice.
Mikko Parttimaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 11:03 PM   #6
Major Player

Maybe there is difference between cf24 & cf25 but as much i know. CF generally uses very absurd algoritm for getting "progressive" image. It means if You switch on CF then You get just one field from interlaced frame. CF multiples the same field to another as well. So You got reduced vertical resolution.
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #7
Major Player

For the most part that sounds about right. I don't even think Cineframe is actual progressive. Sony is definitely using frame blending to achieve it's cine-look which does reduce resolution. However the framerate cadence for Cineframe25 looks virtually identical to 25p (to my eyes). Converting 25 (50i/25fps) interlaced frames to 25p is easier than converting 30 (60i/29.97 fps) interlaced frames to 24p. Thats why NTSC based Cineframe24 looks a bit spotty.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 12:03 AM   #8
Major Player

a) sometimes is very important to get progressive image for chroma keying. It's just painful process asnd nasty result at lower res.
b) in case You wont to achieve better framing. You have to use crop. Now You got twice reduced image in master.
c) Why buy HD when SD is ok?
Frank Hool is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods