letus35 flip enhanced blurry on left side at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 14th, 2006, 01:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

letus35 flip enhanced blurry on left side

I recently was looking over some footage that I shot from my letus35 flip enhanced + DVX100A, and I noticed that on the very left side of my image is blurry... What could be causing this or what would I have to clean to get rid of this? Any help would be appreciated... Thanks!
Sean Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Sean.

If you can get hold of a vernier caliper with a depth gauge, check the distance from front of SLR lens mount to front of the Letus body. It should be the same all the the way around.

If you have moved the lens mount foward to finely adjust backfocus by loosening, slipping the mount forward then resecuring the thumbscrew, then may be possible for the mount to have become slightly skewed in the hole especially if you have given the whole assembly a bump whilst carrying or setting up.

Another cause could be if the groundglass itself is skewed off the focal plane. I have seen this portion of the mechanism. The parts are precisely machined and the assembly measured up dead square with the front face on the specimen I examined, so I don't think this is the problem.

To check if off-axis lens alignment is the problem, close and open the SLR lens aperture with the camcorder video gain set on auto. You may have to play with the ND filters as well to avoid overlighting the CCD. If the edge softness becomes reduced on a small aperture (high number like f8 or f11), then the SLR lens has moved off-axis. If the problem remains unchanged then there are other issues.

Some lenses can be a loose fit on the dual-purpose Canon-Nikon mount but I don't thuink there is enough there to cause an off-axis softness but cumulatively with an off-axis mount, there might be enough error introduced.

If the groundglass itself has become misaligned relative to the centre axis and focal plane of the DVX-100 itself, to test for this, stop the SLR lens down to say f11, enough to cause the groundglass texture to become visible with the vibrator turned off.

Adjust the focus of your camcorder. If the area of sharp focus on the groundglass texture moves across the frame in a band from one edge to the other, then there is a misalignment. If the sharpness across the groundglass occurs uniformly, then there is no problem here.

I am not a Letus expert so just take too much notice of my comments.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Deleted - Obsolete post came forward when edit option timed out.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods