DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Small request for the SGPro and Brevis makers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/75726-small-request-sgpro-brevis-makers.html)

Kristin Stewart September 18th, 2006 10:01 AM

Small request for the SGPro and Brevis makers

Hi Wayne and Dennis,

I wondered if you could post on your websites this test shot to have an idea of your adapter's behavior when you close down the lens : Procedure : with 3 lenses (28mm, 50mm and 85mm for instance), on tripod with no movements. And you just close the lense (1.4, 2, 2.8, 4, etc...). Just asking this because it's necessary to be able to play with stops on set, and to get takes which intercuts perfectly with each others, without having a big difference with the grain for example. It would be great (maybe it could interest anyone else ?)

I think Redrock had something like that, but I can't find it anymore...

Cheers,

Kristin

Greg Bates September 18th, 2006 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristin Stewart
Hi Wayne and Dennis,

I wondered if you could post on your websites this test shot to have an idea of your adapter's behavior when you close down the lens : Procedure : with 3 lenses (28mm, 50mm and 85mm for instance), on tripod with no movements. And you just close the lense (1.4, 2, 2.8, 4, etc...). Just asking this because it's necessary to be able to play with stops on set, and to get takes which intercuts perfectly with each others, without having a big difference with the grain for example. It would be great (maybe it could interest anyone else ?)

I think Redrock had something like that, but I can't find it anymore...

Cheers,

Kristin

Hi Kristin,
I have the Brevis, i'll try to do that for you tomorrow. I've played around with stopping the lens down on the Brevis and the performance is quite impressive.

Wayne Kinney September 18th, 2006 10:40 AM

Kristin,

I'll try and get an example of this as soon at the parts for the next batch arrives which will be the end of this month.

Kristin Stewart September 19th, 2006 01:10 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for your help, much appreciated ! Tests and demos are often done with stop wide open (too much sometimes !) and it will be nice to have another point of view ! By the way, both adapters seem to deliver a beautiful picture, congratulations to the builders !

Thanks again for your help !

Cheers,

Kristin

Wayne Kinney September 19th, 2006 03:31 AM

Kristin,

Just as a reference, if you download the 'Pub/bar' footage from my thread here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=75262

There is info in the bottom corner saying what the aperture was for each shot, and 1 shot shows it stopping down from wide to F4.

Kristin Stewart September 19th, 2006 04:00 AM

Thanks Wayne !

I've already downloaded your footage, very impressive ! I was looking for something more systematic !

Looking forward to seeing this test, when you have more time for it...

Cheers,

Kristin

Dennis Wood September 19th, 2006 05:57 AM

Kristin, thanks for your kind words :-) We're ramping for a fairly comprehensive test series in a week or so. I'm waiting for some nice OCT19 cinema lenses...

The test series willl use a 50mm Minolata Rokkor f1.4 lens at f1.4, f4, f4, f8, f16

Test 1: 50mm on 35mm SLR, 100 ASA film (not motion film).
Test 2: 50mm on Brevis, standard diffuser.
Test 3: 50mm on Brevis, option diffuser.
Test 4: Cinema lenses test on same.

Based on my tests so far comparing film and the standard Brevis diffuser, you do have a very deep f stop range, up to f16 in good light. Grain on image grabs is actually a bit less than on film with respect to out of focus (bokeh) areas. If you email me, I'll send you a few jpgs.

Kristin Stewart September 19th, 2006 07:27 AM

Great Dennis ! Can't wait to see the results !

I forgot to thank Greg for his generous help too !

Thanks guys, you rock !

Kristin

Steve Witt September 19th, 2006 08:05 AM

Cinema Lenses?

Dennis,
Are you using the "Cinema lens"/Brevis combo with your GS400?

Dennis Wood September 19th, 2006 11:50 AM

I"m not sure which cam will be used. It'll be an HVX, DVX, or in a bind, the GS400. Either way, we'll be comparing "bare" footage in there too, with the same cam used throughout.