Now every camera can have a flip function... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:18 PM   #1
Trustee

Now every camera can have a flip function...

Just found a piece of field monitor software that has a flip option for 35mm adaptors:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/30827
Old October 3rd, 2006, 09:01 PM   #2
Trustee

That's not really every camera, just every person with a laptop. There are cheaper, easier ways to acheive the flip function, such as the magnet LCD trick, mounting an LCD monitor upside-down or holding the camera inverted. And for what the software offers (most of which can be done in-camera), it's pricey compared to the many functions of it's slighty-more-expensive brother DVRack.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 09:36 PM   #3
Major Player

I appreciate the effort and shared knowledge, but Ben is right. Frankly, instead of buying a laptop, I'd spend $375.00 on the Varizoom 7" TFT which has flip controls, and the money I save on new lenses...
Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:20 PM   #4
Trustee

I have a laptop...others do as well. I'm sorry it's not for you, but it is an option. Please don't discount something as useless just because it doesn't fit your workflow. That's not constructive.
Old October 4th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #5
Major Player

As they say on the A line, chillax man :D

I'm not saying your contribution is useless, and neither was Ben -- we're just saying the title of the thread is a bit misleading, because not everyone owns a laptop. I thought my suggestion was both polite and constructive. I didn't intend it any other way.

But, whatever -- do what you like.
Old October 4th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #6
Major Player

I own one but can't use it though. Mine is PC. But DVRack should do it, i guess. Despite it i use car tv lcd. It boots lot faster and is cheaper for rude use.
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #7
Trustee

I was calm...if not I would have used language that would have gotten the post modded ;) And technically, the title says "can", not "does".

I do agree it's clunky, but there's been alot of noise about getting flip options for LCD's etc. Although expensive, I'm sure it provides an idea for some developers to alter DVHScap from the apple firewire developer's toolkit to provide a free or cheap option. I'm sure the linux folks could find an open source option as well that already displays firewire video that a checkbox could be added to.

There may even be a windows open source package that could be altered.

it is $120 for a license for the linked software above, so maybe someone here has the skill set to make an open source field monitor software out of existing code available for free/cheap.

Options are always good.
Old October 4th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #8
Major Player

It was some time ago. When a was on shopping external monitor. So, brain plays tricks with memories here. But it was about $150 for non-flip and for flip plus $20. The one i own is non-flip and it's Trevi. I just built additional mechanical holder for that - works for me. I'm sorry, just can't recall flippers name.
Frank Hool is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods