DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Canon f/0.95mm lens on DV camcorder? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/77123-canon-f-0-95mm-lens-dv-camcorder.html)

Rolland Elliott October 9th, 2006 10:13 AM

Canon f/0.95mm lens on DV camcorder?

Canon f/0.95mm lens on DV camcorder?

It was originally designed for rangefinder cameras and wasn't the sharpest beast, but I'm curious if anyone has adapted it to fit a DV camcorder?

That would be some seriously shallow depth of field.

Peace, Rolland

Toenis Liivamaegi October 9th, 2006 11:21 AM

Please go with Revue f1.2 instead if you`re really interested in that shallow DOF. There is a reason whi the fastest cine primes aren`t designed faster than T1.3
I have the 55mm f1.2 but I must confess that I dont`t really use it @ f1.2 most of the time:
Imagine your girlfriend waking, and if you`re really lucky you`ll grab this, for one frame @ 6 feet just before sunrise as I did a while ago.

Only two yeas ago I was confused with Schneider Xenons too but don`t bother.

55mm 36x24mm SLR frame sized f1.2 lens are the most powerful lens you can get for sub $600...

Cheers,
T

Oleg Kalyan October 9th, 2006 11:29 AM

Thomas, great shot, did you manipulate it in Photoshop?

Matthew Nayman October 9th, 2006 11:44 AM

Ooo, Shallow DOF bum!

Rolland Elliott October 9th, 2006 12:02 PM

What is a Revue f1.2?

Is revue a lens maker?

I have a Nikon 55mm 1.2 lens, they cost around $300 used.

I also have the canon 50mm f/0.95 lens. I had converted it to EOS mount, but due to the SLR to film plane distances the lens could only take close ups.

Finally I am excited to use this lens and you say dont' bother? Why is this? I would think at an average shooting distance of 10 feet or so it would have enough depth of field, but sill blur out the background easily.
Sharpness is not as important in moving video as it is in still photos.

Peace, Rolland

Toenis Liivamaegi October 9th, 2006 12:46 PM

Oh, sorry if you already have all those lens then go ahead :)...
... I was wondering that maybe you`ll be getting those and knowing that this sub f1 Canon is the softest low light lens available compared to famous Noctilux.
And lens sharpness wide open would be quite important as I`ve learnt. Pluss even slight subject movement in Z axis will cause out of focus images. I would rather light even the remote scene with PC UPS and fluos than go anything faster than f1.4 but then again, content rules not the lens.

Revuenon f1.2 is rebranded Z series Mamiya lens as far as I know.

Oleg, that image was not manipulated in Photoshop and even this kind of imagery is achievable through DOF adaptor and TSE 45mm 2.8 lens for example.

Regs,
T

Rolland Elliott October 9th, 2006 01:55 PM

thanks for answering my question

Thanks for the answer I plan to buy that vibrating lens tube from you and make my own whenever you get around to selling it.

Sincerely, Rolland