Plastic GG? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 20th, 2006, 06:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Plastic GG?

Does anyone know how to get a sheet of the plastic that is used for cup lids at Fast Food places? I've tried contacting plastic companies, but they don't seem to be able to answer any of my questions. I noticed the other day that some restaurants have translucent plastic lids with extremely little grain, very little light loss, and it's super thin and rigid. I thought it would be perfect for a vibrating GG. but the lids all have embossed logos and the little "Coke" "Diet" and "Other" bumps on them, so none of them seem to have enough flat surface area. So I tried investigating to see if I could figure out the exact type of plastic, and if I could purchase it in sheet form. No luck though.
Anyone know, or maybe tried this approach.

P.S. This is my first post to this forum, after years of just reading it. Wow! :)
Sean Skube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Hello Sean, Welcome to the forum! (even though you've been here a while).

There are many types of this diffused plastic in local arts stores and such. I do beleive however that in a vibrating design, a proper ground glass would be better.
Old October 20th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Try using a focusing screen as a vibrating GG option. Its simple and fuss free as you don't need to grind the glass to the right texture. I hear the focusing screen doesn't have the kind of bokeh as say a microwax GG. But i think its good enough.
Alex Chong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods