Static DOF adaptor SD footage evaluation! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 30th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #1
Major Player

Static DOF adaptor SD footage evaluation!

I was wondering that maybe someone is interested in latest and simplest static DOF adaptor that utilizes Canon EE-A and EE-S microlens focusing screens and 2" components from Thorlabs, a Nikon BR-3 and CINEDOF™ static screen holder held and aligned by retaining rings.

As we didn`t have two thorlabs 2" tubes the distance from camcorder lens to focusing screen was only 25mm thus the vignetting with wide angle.
All shots taken with tiny sub $500 GS150, deinterlaced. KIRON 28mm f2 lens.
>> http://www.cinedof.com/static/call_2...static_ees.avi (shows no grain from gain)
>> http://www.cinedof.com/static/port_2...static_ees.avi
>> http://www.cinedof.com/static/statio...static_ees.avi

What do you think, would this quality do for amateur SD projects or for educational purposes?

Let me know,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #2
Major Player

The CU of the girl at the train station looked good, but the static grain bugged me. It always makes me rub my eyes.
Sam Jankis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Toenis,

I see some dark specks of dirt, one next to her lips and another just below here chin. Other than that, the clips were great to overall. How much light was there where you shot the scenes? Overall, what was your expense for your static adapter setup? Thanks!
Rene Hinojosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 03:37 AM   #4
Major Player

Parts list in order of screw-together assembly:

1. Nikon BR-3 Bayonet Mount Adapter Ring for 52mm Filters - $35.00
2. Thorlabs SM2L20 - SM2 Lens Tube, 2.00" (50.8mm) Bore Depth, One SM2RR (retaining ring) Included - $31.00
3. Canon EE-S focusing screen - $35.00 (EE-A screen is available for as low as $5.00)
4. CINEDOF™ static screen holder for EE series - $25.00 (screen is held by screen holder between retaining rings)
5. Thorlabs SM2RR - SM2 Retaining Ring, 2.035"-40 Thread x 0.10" (2.5mm) Thick - $9.50
6. Thorlabs SM2T2 coupler - $33.00
7. Your camcorder/macro to 52mm stepping ring - $5.00

+ Spanner wrench to screw retaining rings tight enough but we managed to tighten them with philips head precision screwdriver.

TOTAL: $170.00

Assembly time: 3-30min depends on getting the correct flange focal distance.

Not that bad for the most versatile static DIY dof adaptor for Nikon lens, no glue required.

Cheers,
T

Last edited by Toenis Liivamaegi; October 31st, 2006 at 10:21 AM.
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 03:52 AM   #5
Major Player

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=50393

There's a full list of parts you can order. The prices probably have changed. This is not including your holder or screen. I didn't use the 6, 7, 8 on your list. It's really easy to adjust the GG in the tube and focus to infinity. I only have a 2inch , in length, tube it's pefect. The only other expense you didn't list is some kind of macro/achromat.
Rich Hibner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 03:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Toenis,

good stuff!

It seems that the major expense here is those tubes.
What you could do is use one of the Thorlabs and a lens extender tube to get a bit more distance. These have a 52mm thread on the end (male one end female the other) so like a Thorlabs but without the inside thread. Obviously the screen would go in the Thorlabs one.

I made my static one with them a while back. Didn't like the grain much so eagerly awaiting one of your vibrating screens when available.

I've got a couple going spare it you want one.
To see what they look like there's some picks here
http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/~smithdm/dof.html

cheers

Dave

P.S what are the BR3 things ussually used for?
David MD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 10:18 AM   #7
Major Player

BR-3 is used to attach 52mm filters etc to reversed slr lens in macro photography.

I revised the static adapter parts list also.

Regs,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods