Various SGpro topics - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 17th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #46
Regular Crew

The bokeh looks great!

1. What is the approximate light loss for the SGPro w/flip?
2. What focus gear is on that rig? RRM?
It doesn't look like (as nice as) the ones on your site.
Jon Wolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #47
Major Player

Thanks Jon,

Total lightloss from the SGpro + flip module is just over 1 stop. We could have designed the SGpro with less lightloss, however this will compromise the 'bokeh rendition'. We have designed the SGpro towards the best quality image and aethetic.

The gear is our latest type 1 lens gear.
Old December 18th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #48
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Kinney View Post
Thanks Jon,

Total lightloss from the SGpro + flip module is just over 1 stop. We could have designed the SGpro with less lightloss, however this will compromise the 'bokeh rendition'. We have designed the SGpro towards the best quality image and aethetic.
That's what I like to hear. I always appreciate adapter builders who understand the delicate balance.
Old April 12th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #49
Major Player

SGpro r3 with flip module and new EX1 fix- grabs and footage

Hi Guys,

Here we have the results from a lot of users requests for improved performance with the Sony PMW-EX1. As most of you know, the EX1 is a problematic cam when hooked up to an adapter, mainly in terms of edge to edge sharpness. We have worked hard on the fix and this results in edge to edge sharpness even with the EX1's iris wide open at F1.9! The new achromat kit for the flip module will be £49 and available in about 3 weeks. We also have an upgrade kit coming to use the EX1 non flipped, again with great edge to edge sharpness!

Below is a image of the EX1 setup on the SGpro using our latest rods support system:

http://www.sgpro.co.uk/SGpro_flip_ex1.jpg

The EX1 is an amazing camcorder, easily the sharpest cam we have used so far, it really was a pleasure to use! The Fujinon lens is F1.9 throughout the zoom range, so no light is lost once zoomed into the 35mm frame - great! The LCD is also very good, with this and the peeking function, focusing was fairly easy.

We went and took some shots at Brighton Marina village using the new achromat, our own flip module and a variety of Canon FD lenses. Unfortunately the weather was very gloomy, in fact we had to finish early because it started snowing - typical UK weather..hehe. Also, I was a bit of an idiot and have the gain set to +9 from the previous night which added a little noise - DOH!.

Here is the link to a 2 minute clip. It is a 164MB WMV file (please right click and save as):

http://www.sgpro.co.uk/SGproflip_EX1_fix.wmv

VLC player seems to crash so please use media player if on a PC.

Below are some grabs:

http://www.sgpro.co.uk/ex1_frame01.jpg
http://www.sgpro.co.uk/ex1_frame02.jpg
http://www.sgpro.co.uk/ex1_frame03.jpg
http://www.sgpro.co.uk/ex1_frame04.jpg
http://www.sgpro.co.uk/ex1_frame05.jpg

All comments welcome!
Old April 12th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #50
Major Player

Do you have screenshots that are full res? Also, do you have any fullsize footage from that day with you panning and tilting?

And did I miss you dropping the price of the SGPro? :)
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #51
Major Player

Hi Jeremy,

I don't have any panning or tilting shots, but I'll try and get some full res grabs up tonight.

The SGpro has been £399 for some time (£299 without rods support).
Old April 20th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #52
Tourist

SGPro flip vs Redrock flip on EX

Thanks for sharing this, it's a setup I might end up with very soon! In my opinion it looks slightly better than the redrock flip+HVX 200 tests I've seen. It seems to have have slightly less chromatic abberation seen in edges on the frame.

It's really a close race between the Redrock and the Sgpro. I saw on the Redrock page their flip module is currently not recommended for Sony Z1 and EX...

BTW, is it possible to have the flip module upside down, so that the Sony EX is below the adapter level, not over it?
Henning Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:44 AM   #53
Major Player

Hi,

Yes it is, however you would need to purchase a z raiser of some sort, maybe from zacuto or geardear. Here is a photo of it setup like this on the new z7:

http://www.peter-hoare.co.uk/Z71.jpg
Old July 30th, 2008, 02:50 AM   #54
Major Player

Wow !!

Ordered my SGPro late Sunday night (I am talking around 11pm at night) - it turned up on Tuesday early afternoon !!! :)

What were you people doing on Monday, sitting on your hands ? ;P

Seriously, great service, I have never bought anything online that had such a pain free and rapid turnaround.

Now to set it up . . . . .
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 08:12 AM   #55
Major Player

Hi Lee,

Glad to hear the unit arrived safe and sound. Yes, we have really work to reduce our lead time but I think it has paid off :)

Did a mod achieve all the SGpro threads into this one thread?
Old July 31st, 2008, 08:43 AM   #56
Major Player

One quick question, I am plugging a Canon HV30 into the SGPro, the Canon has 43mm threads - so I need to step up from 43mm to 72mm to interface the SGPro.

I couldn't find a simple 43mm to 72mm step up ring but I managed to get what I needed by using 4 step up rings (!!)

43 - 46
46 - 52
52 - 62
62 - 72

Do you think this ok, or is it better to use a single (and slimmer) ring ?
Old July 31st, 2008, 09:00 AM   #57
Major Player

Lee,

It will be fine, the extra distance actually helps with vignetting for a small cam like the HV30.
Old July 31st, 2008, 02:40 PM   #58
Major Player

Quote:
Lee,

It will be fine, the extra distance actually helps with vignetting for a small cam like the HV30.
Cheers! Good to know that about vignetting. I also have a method to remove any vignetting I might pick up.

Once the camera / adaptor and everything is set up, shoot a few seconds of a flat white card. When you capture your footage, don't forget to capture this flat white card footage also.

The footage of the flat white card will have the very same vignetting the rest of footage has.

In your editing program inverse the flat white card footage (black to white / white to black) and use this as a mask to slightly adjust the vignetted areas of the proper footage.

I usually use either 'levels' or 'curves' in After Effects, works very well and is fast and easy.

Hope that all makes sense !
Old July 31st, 2008, 02:54 PM   #59
Major Player

An affective method, yes. Remember that you will need one mask for each of your lenses.
Old July 31st, 2008, 04:07 PM   #60
Major Player

Quote:
An affective method, yes. Remember that you will need one mask for each of your lenses.
Yep! I just shoot a bit of white once everything is set up.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods