XDCAM HD and DOF adaptors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 19th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #1
Trustee

XDCAM HD and DOF adaptors

Just got the above beautiful camera. It is a joy to use, the file management system is lovely. The features are fantasic. NOW...is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to use a DOF adaptor on the front of my canon hd lens?

Dennis Wood's Brevis is arriving at mine this week and it seems like it will be the easiest to try out as it is thread mounted, so i will need an 82-72mm step down ring.

My Redrock is a different matter as I have rod issues, they certainly aren't designed for full size pro cameras, but I can't see a reason why they wouldn't work...

Has anyone tried any of the adaptors of full size cameras (other than the pro35)?
Old November 19th, 2006, 08:40 PM   #2
Major Player

That's going to be a pretty big rig... how long is the Canon HD lens?

A great setup would be a short relay lens (w/ achromat?) and the Brevis.
Sam Jankis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom
My Redrock is a different matter as I have rod issues, they certainly aren't designed for full size pro cameras, but I can't see a reason why they wouldn't work...
Has anyone tried any of the adaptors of full size cameras (other than the pro35)?
Hi Phil,

Whats the distance of the center of your new pro camcorder 's lens to its base?
Thanks
Alex Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Two issues.

A close-up lens or acromatic dioptre will still be needed. It's power may need to be less if my assumption of the XDCAM CCD being is larger than 1/3" is correct. Otherwise you may pick up frame or GG edges, but I think your Canon's zoom range may be enough deal with this if it is an ENG lens with 125mm max zoom-in.

The Camera-Canon lens/adaptor/SLR lens combination is going to be very long and nose heavy. A shorter combination with a dedicated relay lens as suggested above would be better.

The added mechanical loading on the XDCAM lens mount could be of concern and may require bridgeplate and rods support to avoid damage.

The unusual appearance of the combination you suggest, especially if you have a large diameter SLR lens on front may cause consternation to some people.

I would counsel you to never ever point it at visiting dignitaries without first taking the time to show the combination to police and security people and always advising them when you will be operating it in significant public areas.

Given you are well experienced in this arena and will know of ENG cameras being misvisualised as manpads with tragic outcomes, I'm probably stating the obvious so please forgive me if this is a tiresome comment.

I tested my own adaptor onto a HD100 via its Fujinon lens and it was fine.

The only issue I envisage is that if your Canon lens filter mount rotates with the focus adjustment, then you will have to add a lockable sleeve to the mix to enable initial relay focus then re-alignment of the device.

The standard Fujinon on the HD100, although it uses the standard ENG lens 82mm filter size, this mount is a fixed perimeter surrounding the moving focus barrel on this lens.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 12:48 AM   #5
Trustee

The relay lens would be a good idea, although I have no idea if such a thing exists for the Sony 1/2" mount. Or where I could get it. There are 2/3" adaptors for the camera and oddly enough nikon f mount adaptors (imagine putting a little 50mm lens on that body, that will look very odd!) The CCDs are the new Sony 1/2" ones, and from my limited experience of using the new camera so far the shallow DOF attainable is VERY similar to a 2/3rd inch camera. Not as good, but certainly way better than what my z1 can achieve on its own.

The lens itself isnt hugely long, its quite a nice compact thing. 20x zoom with full macro. The filter mount is static so that wouldn't be a problem. But you are correct in that it will look like the Cyrano de Bergerac of cameras as is!

If anyone could point me in the direction of a relay for a professional camera that would be great, if it is only 2/3" then that is workable, although more expensive! Dont want to have to get a pro35! Price, OUCH!
Old November 20th, 2006, 06:39 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Phil.

There seems to be almost a tradition of Nikon adaptors for news cameras going right back to the CP16. The reasoning then was that if the Angenieux zoom got broken in field, that the nearest stills shooter could be begged to hand over one of his Nikons to get the job done.

In your case, if you use a Nikon via the Nikon F to B3??? adaptor, you would have to put an acromatic dioptre on front of the Nikon lens you put on it.

The 50mm f1.8 would probably do it for you though may not be in the same quality league as your XDCAM'S own lens.

The penalty is a possible reduction in resolution. I would favour going as you suggest via the Canon lens and learning to live with the log wich has to be carried around. The Canon lens which is matched to the XDCAM camera also keeps its own backfocus and iris facility intact.

If you are clever with the Canon lens and set up the backfocus just right, you should be able to use a little of the zoom for fine adjustments to composition like you can with the Z1.

My personal preference, if driven with a barbed wire whip to make a direct relay would be to offset the 50mm lens I guess about 8 to 10mm furthur forward of its normal position on the Nikon F to B3??? adaptor to bring its close focus ability nearer to the camera to eliminate the acromatic dioptre if possible.

It is likely, the space between the 35mm adaptor and the 50mm Nikon lens used for relay is going to be fairly long so there may be little advantage in going to direct relay route anyway. Once you start getting into custom relay lenses, you may be getting into P+S Technik territory costwise.

My imagining of the Nikon adaptor is that it would be a one-piece machined piece with the B3 lugs on one end and the Nikon F on the front. If you were lucky it might be made in two or more pieces with the Nikon mount ring being the detachable piece.

In that event it would be a fairly simple matter to get a spacer ring made up and bring the Nikon ring as far furthur foward as it needs to be.

You would test with the lens, SG or Brevis mounted on a temporary rig, (gaffer, pine wood, patience and discover what that best relay lens position would be to get the best coverage of the GG area.

Les Bosher in the UK makes all manner of lens adaptors, probably does the Nikon F to B3?? already , so a one-off with the Nikon flange set about 8mm to 10mm furthur foward might not be too big a deal.

Alternatively, you might get one custom made which has a lockable sliding or threaded extending section to adjust the Nikon flange furthur forward

I think he may have his own website. I think I have heard www.lesbosher.co.uk mentioned but this is purely a vague maybe recollection.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods