The Gs35 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 21st, 2006, 11:06 PM   #1
Major Player

The Gs35

I just made that adpter name up, but here's a clip of a wax diffuser. All parts readily available through the internet and no glueing, hacking, sawing, grinding anything. Just screw on. I have a vibrating version coming around next week.

http://www.filelodge.com/files/room3...id%282%29.divx

It's a divx file and only 40mb's big. I do notice spots on the screen. That's because I dropped the glass and it put little spots on it.

No CC
z76
Canon 50mm 1.8
Rich Hibner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 01:25 AM   #2
Major Player

What aperture was the lens at when you shot this? What was your light?
Old November 22nd, 2006, 07:09 AM   #3
Major Player

Not to bad at all, was this with the new achromat?

Cant really see CA or barrell distortion, just a little vignetting and the GG grain.

Can you remind us of your setup?

Also, I can see that your wax GG is not really diffusing enough, giving that hazy bokeh (sometimes known as ghosting). Unless you like that look, and it does give less lightloss this way, I would try a slightly thicker wax layer.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 11:55 AM   #4
Major Player

Aperature was 1.8 and the only available light i had was a ceiling fan light. I think a 60w bulb?
Old November 22nd, 2006, 12:37 PM   #5
Major Player

Have you tried stopping the lens down yet? Just curious to see how far you get before grain becomes an issue -- it should be different for interiors and exteriors.

Looks pretty good, on the whole. Thanks for posting.
Old November 23rd, 2006, 12:14 AM   #6
Major Player

The current lens I have for some reason doesn't stop up or down once it's locked. Any suggestions? I do have a nikno lens, but during my attempt to get the male/male ring off on of the thorlabs tube, it bent, not allowing me to use the Nikon mount. I do know, that with the Nikon 28mm f2.8 the grain was pretty noticeable. I wish I had the footage still.

Wayne. I'll look up the measurements for the macro and let you know. I'm not doubting your macro at all. The only solution I had was to pair it with another one. And even so, it's real nice because I don't have to zoom past 77 like I was with the cheap Opteka's, and much more crisp image. I'm sure the distance I have is too far because the holder I'm using is .5 inches long and the macro sits two step rings away from the camera. So just guessing here. 72-62-52ring(macro-.5inches)----then screen. I'd say the screen is at least an inch away because the thorlabs tube is 2inches long and it doesn't go all the way to the back. I don't have a condeser. I do think the most of the vignetting is from the screen being cut off on the edges some. It's in a UV filter mounted in, possibly. What FL pcx/dcx would you suggest? Plus the wax was/is not spread all the way. The sides have lots of weird things. It got beat around a lot. My cat likes to play with things that don't move??? I have some semi outdoor footage later if I can manage to stay awake.
Old November 23rd, 2006, 05:45 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car3o
What FL pcx/dcx would you suggest?
Most start with a PCX or DCX of 100mm FL
Old November 23rd, 2006, 05:32 PM   #8
Major Player

Here is some more footage. The smaller clip is from a a day ago. The larger clip was from the same night as the previous clip with the fan, but not as much vignetting. I must have had it not zoomed in like I thought. Enjoy. More to come. Some with vibrating hopefully. Anyone want to take a stab at some POC material with me? I just don't want to spend that much on one sheet.

http://www.filelodge.com/files/room3...20/Video1.divx
http://www.filelodge.com/files/room3...20/Video2.divx
Old November 26th, 2006, 12:46 AM   #9
Major Player

Wayne, how far away should your achromat be from the GG?
Old November 29th, 2006, 04:43 AM   #10
Major Player

Rich,

Please email me or PM my dvxuser account and I can help you out
Old November 29th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #11
Major Player

Some new grabs. New screen.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/Car3o/Koty.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...3o/Sammy_2.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/Car3o/Sammy.jpg

Nothing CC all done in camera.

Canon 50mm 1.8
Rich Hibner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods