DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Redrock vs Brevis (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/80267-redrock-vs-brevis.html)

Phil Bloom November 23rd, 2006 07:00 PM

Redrock vs Brevis

I started with a Letus flip which for me was no good, poor build quality and unacceptable light loss. I bought a Redrock M2 which I think is terrific, albeit a little heavy and have now got a lovely lightweight Brevis for more handheld stuff.

Cute little Peli case and nice and light are my initial thoughts. I have a couple of problems that I hope Dennis can talk me through, one I find my Nikon mount next to impossible to properly click into place, it should be simple and I can't imagine what I am doing wrong. It just won't go!

Secondly I can't focus with my z1 onto the diffuser screen without getting the very edges of it in shot with underscan. I think I need to somehow move the diffuser closer to the camera but not sure how to do it or if it is the correct thing to do.

As soon as I get it up and running I will start posting comparisons.

So far my M2 has given me hideous pictures and lovely pictures, though most of the blame lies with me using it in inappropriate situations and not realsing the focus was knocked!

Dennis Wood November 24th, 2006 03:32 AM

Phil, you've got access now to the manuals etc. online. Both of those issues will be dealt with :-)

Phil Bloom November 27th, 2006 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have managed to mount my Brevis on my XDCAM HD F330. It needs a bit of space between the achromat and the Brevis but it works well. One thing you do need is a high quality monitor like the Marshall as the LCD screen on Pro cameras are awful! But with my Marshall I can see focus very well! On the end is a Zeiss t1.4 50mm, a LOVELY lens.

I havent shot anything yet as I need a proper spacer with a bit more length as I can see the screen slightly still, but I am shooting a short pilot on Wednesday with it! So i think I might have to take a couple of my old filters and smash them for those important extra millimetres!!

There is no way I can use my redrock with it, just too heavy and needs rods which I don't have yet for the big camera.

Chris Barcellos November 27th, 2006 05:56 PM

Phil:

I ve just finished with the DIY Redrock build from plans I got a year ago, and adopting designs to things I had on hand, and actually using the Brevis achromat. In order to get focusable play in the zoom with my FX1, I had to put on a five inch tube between my GG and the achromat. I also rigged a different sort of mount for everything. See photos at:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...947#post579947

Richard Darge November 28th, 2006 09:07 PM

I just pit the M2 against the Brevis and wrote about it here, watch the video too

Nikkor Glass

http://gearbrain.blogspot.com/

Greg Bates November 28th, 2006 11:26 PM

Nice review

Solomon Chase November 28th, 2006 11:30 PM

I second that.

Very detailed and professional review.

Sam Jankis November 29th, 2006 06:33 AM

It'd be cool to see shootout between the Movietube, Mini35, Brevis, M2, and SGPro. With res charts and controlled lighting.

Jaadgy Akanni November 29th, 2006 06:44 AM

After seeing Richard's review, I choose the M2 over the Brevis. Thanks for the review Richard.

Dennis Wood November 29th, 2006 12:24 PM

These reviews are about to get a bit more complicated as we've added a third diffuser option to the collection :-) I'll have HD footage from this latest as soon as the XH-A1 arrives. Lovers of the cinemek look will be happy. Thanks for taking the time with this Richard.

Dennis Wood November 29th, 2006 12:28 PM

These reviews are about to get a bit more complicated as we've added a third diffuser option to the collection :-) I'll have HD footage from this latest as soon as the XH-A1 arrives. Lovers of the cinemek look will be happy.

Btw, Chris our achromat was spec'd specifically for the Brevis which has a large usable image size, but I'm glad to see you got it working OK for your application. I suspect you're just at the edge of it's optical range there!

Phil, for the record, you're our first XDcam user :-) Are you using the Marshall VR70PHDSDI?

Chris Barcellos November 29th, 2006 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Wood
Btw, Chris our achromat was spec'd specifically for the Brevis which has a large usable image size, but I'm glad to see you got it working OK for your application. I suspect you're just at the edge of it's optical range there!

Understand Dennis, but with the set up I am using, I am zooming into all of the usable area, before vignetting occurs, and able to maintain focus with my FX1. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but wouldn't I be required to have a similar distance from ground glass to end the front end of camera lens mounted with the achromat when I am using the Brevis ?? Have you tested the Brevis with FX1 yet ? I'm guessing FX1 is not as close focusing as the others.

Phil Bloom November 29th, 2006 02:14 PM

Hi Dennis

Am using the Marshall monitor without the SDI, just using component in. Its a really great monitor. So clear and perfect for focusing.

The Brevis is much brighter than the M2. I used it today on a shoot for Channel 5/ The History Channel mounted on my XDCAM HD shooting 25p in SD mode. It looked lovely. Although a speck of dust on the GG slowed me down and I really need to get some rods as the length is quote long now that I have to have spacers between the achromat and the adaptor. I was also having a bit of a nightmare with the Nikon mount as I wasnt taking my lenses properly, one fell off!!! Dennis has upgraded them to a new version which I am hoping he has sent to me, embarrassing when a lens falls off when you are trying to focus!

The director and producer loved the adaptor.

Can anyone else in the UK please not buy one, I would like to be exclusive! (sorry Dennis!)

Phil

edit: just viewed the rushes at home, lovely lovely lovely!

Dennis Wood December 1st, 2006 04:42 AM

I have a 480 x 800 7" LCD (16:9) that has both VGA and composite inputs. I've got a VGA to component HD adapter incoming and will test this out on the A1. The LCD monitor I have does not have the contrast ratio (150), or brightness (250cd/m²) of the Marshall, and so far is just a focusing and framing guide. It is a lot sharper in VGA mode than using composite inputs, so hopefully HD to VGA will work better. Results pending, I may just bite the bullet and pick up the Marshall as it seems to be the only other option for HD monitoring under 4K.

Phil, glad to here the unit is working out for you. You'll like the new Nikon mount :-)

Sam Jankis December 1st, 2006 07:19 AM

A did a little research on the ERG EV85... it's supposed to be as good as the Panasonic 8.4" but w/o a waveform monitor... and it only costs $2900 (with component). It also has a flip function.