DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   The best camcorder for 35mm adapters?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/80351-best-camcorder-35mm-adapters.html)

Tony Relph November 25th, 2006 08:39 AM

The best camcorder for 35mm adapters??

Whats the best camcorder for 35mm adapters. I did have the Panasonic HVX-200 but I have sent it back as digital artifacts keep appearing when using the P2 cards and this is when using it without the adapter. So I am now looking to buy a new camcorder but before I do I would like to hear everyones view on the range out there. The most popular among 35mm adapter users is the Sony Z1 and Panasonic DVX100. Then there is the promising JVC range that I believe offers true 24f (I might be wrong). Then there is the new Canon XL-H1, XH-G1 and XH-A1.

What would you choose if you had the choice? What really is the best camcorder to use for film making with a 35mm adapter? Excluding the HVX-200.

Ben Winter November 25th, 2006 01:30 PM

lol I think an absolute like "what is the best camcorder" is a nearly impossible question to answer. It depends on your needs. What adapter are you using? Do you need low light capability? You're not going to find someone that owns a DVX, a Z1, GS400, XL1, XL2, and H1 and can compare them. Everyone's going to say their camcorder suits them fine, they like it, etc. you should buy one. The best way is to find the nicest camera that suits your needs and budget and use it. There are very nice camcorders out there, and there are very nice adapters to go with them. A LetusXL on an XL2 might fair just as well as a DVX with a Brevis. They're going to have different characteristics. Adapters are made for camcorders, not the other way around.

A complete answer such as "FX1 is the best to use with an adapter, Tony," is very naiive.

Sam Jankis November 25th, 2006 01:56 PM

Well, I don't know about your artifacts problem with the HVX... mine works perfectly.

Right now I think there are only two pro/prosumer cameras that shoot HD at true 24p: JVC HD100 and Panasonic HVX200. The ONLY two reasons I went with the HVX is (1) HDV's long render times and (2) DVCPro colorspace.

The upcoming JVC HD250 looks promising (though expensive). I'd consider getting the HD250 for the in camera flip function, the possibility of using a Letus-like adapter w/ relay lens, the standard AB gold mount battery, and it's great ergonomics.

Frank Hool November 25th, 2006 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Relph
I did have the Panasonic HVX-200 but I have sent it back as digital artifacts keep appearing when using the P2 cards and this is when using it without the adapter.

Really Tony, it comes a bit surprising! Can You put some examples on wire.

Jaadgy Akanni November 25th, 2006 04:21 PM

I for one have never been a fan of the HVX-200, and it has something to do with the look and the colors which seem to always lean towards a green-ish hue. But it's just a matter of taste. However, if you were going with the P+S Mini35, the M2 from RedRock, or the Letus, I'd say the HVX-200 is the one camera that seems to give the least headaches and yields very satisfactory results.The results seem better than those you get with other cameras. I personally am a fan of the JVC cameras 'cause I find their 24p image to be more "filmic" than that of the HVX-200; plus I like the colors. I'lll be purchasing the HD200u when it comes out in December. I'll be using it with my REdRock M2. I'll see how that turns out. I've already tried my M2 with a HD100u (which I sold) and results while quite good, were never as impressive as those I saw from the HVX-200.

Tony Relph November 25th, 2006 06:32 PM

Frank,

I have sent the camera back and I have been refunded. I didnt keep any footage as it wasnt that great due to the artifacts. The camera was looked at and I was told that it was most likely some fault in the transfering of data to the P2 card. Having paid out £3,500 + P2 card I am not chancing it again, I just don't trust transfering data to memory cards, its still a new concept with video capture where as HDV, DVCAM is a tried, tested and a more reliable method of video capture (so far). My camera may of been a one off but its enough to make me change.

I know all cameras work differently with different adapters but I would just like to know what cameras have the best functions and features along with the best formats for film making then that way it will help me compare them. Im still going to test all of them but some recommendations and experiences would be helpful.

Tony Relph November 26th, 2006 07:29 AM

What camcorders offer true 24p? I know JVC does. Am I right in understanding that the Panasonic DVX100 offers 24p? If so, isnt there a new version of the DVX100: DVX100B. Whats the difference?

Sam Jankis November 26th, 2006 10:21 AM

SD cams w/24p: Canon XL2 and Panasonic DVX100B.
HD/SD cams w/24p: JVC HD110 and Panasonic HVX200.

Tony Relph November 26th, 2006 11:41 AM

Exclude the HVX200.

Which camera apart from the JVC range offers 24p, not 25p. It is my understanding that 25p adds 4% in length. Is there really much difference between the look of 24p and 25p?? Being new to this I really want to recreate the filmlook using my DiGi35 and I want to get the right camera to create this effect.

David Delaney November 26th, 2006 11:49 AM

Hey Tony,

Is your website url not working?

Tony Relph November 26th, 2006 12:10 PM

The adapter is being renamed. Due to work I havent had time to make the website. Im hoping to have something ready for Feb 2007 but Im going away and wont be back until Jan 2007.

Mike Schrengohst November 26th, 2006 02:19 PM

We have transferred thousands of P2 cards from hundreds of users....
I have heard of some glitches when transferring direct from P2 card through FCP. If your intent is to make and sell an adaptor then the HVX200 crowd will probably be the biggest user base in the 24p arena.
Once you get an adaptor built we would be happy to test with one of our HVX's.
Cheers

Phil Bloom November 26th, 2006 02:44 PM

Although not out yet, the Sony V1 could be the one to look at, purely because of price, form factor, HDV tape recording and the progressive scan. I did have one on order but decided to buy a full size camcorder instead.

Sam Jankis November 26th, 2006 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Relph
Exclude the HVX200.

Which camera apart from the JVC range offers 24p, not 25p. It is my understanding that 25p adds 4% in length. Is there really much difference between the look of 24p and 25p?? Being new to this I really want to recreate the filmlook using my DiGi35 and I want to get the right camera to create this effect.

If you're shooting HD, only the HD110 and HVX200 offer true 24p. Sony doesn't have a prosumer HD cam that shoots 24p (FX1 and Z1U shoot 60i). Canon's HD cams shoot 24f (and 25f) - not close enough IMO. If you write off the HVX200... your only HD option is the JVC HD110. The JVC also shoots 25p.

Also, it's really not hard to look this up yourself... are you looking for a particular answer?

Chris Barcellos November 26th, 2006 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Jankis
If you're shooting HD, only the HD110 and HVX200 offer true 24p. Sony doesn't have a prosumer HD cam that shoots 24p (FX1 and Z1U shoot 60i). Canon's HD cams shoot 24f (and 25f) - not close enough IMO. If you write off the HVX200... your only HD option is the JVC HD110. The JVC also shoots 25p.

Also, it's really not hard to look this up yourself... are you looking for a particular answer?

Sam left off the Sony V1U due out in December. It will have 24p...