Redrock, Brevis, SGPro Shootout - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 6th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #211
Trustee

Dennis

Anyone tried out the Brevis with the JVC HD200...I er...bought one. I tried it at the videoforum exhib at Earls Court today and thought it was really lovely..Image flip in camera and vignette correction...now if you could come up with a relay for it I would create a shrine to you in my front room!

I think I may well be selling my HVX now...shame, it's just the p2 workflow is not good for a jobbing freelancer without transfering to tape for them
Old February 6th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #212
Major Player

I'll be using my HD100 with the Brevis soon and would pay homage to Phil's shrine for someone to make a relay. Dennis is working on it so it may just be him.

Congrats on your purchase, Phil. I hope it does you well. I know I love the form factor of the camera. The good news for me is that I figured out how to physically flip my viewfinder... Add a Marshall on top and I'm all set.
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #213
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom
Dennis

Anyone tried out the Brevis with the JVC HD200...I er...bought one. I tried it at the videoforum exhib at Earls Court today and thought it was really lovely..Image flip in camera and vignette correction...now if you could come up with a relay for it I would create a shrine to you in my front room!

Phil

How about posting some footage from the HD200 with the 35mm adaptors you have?

Thanks

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #214
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Curran
Phil

How about posting some footage from the HD200 with the 35mm adaptors you have?

Thanks

Andrew
Hi Drew

only got camera today. Just getting to grips with it. Got the Brevis on the camera but it needs a small spacer to get past the edges. Havent tried the redrock yet. Dont like the idea of using their rod system as I will lose the shoulder mount so need to think about that one. But the flip is so nice and the viewfinder and lcd are pretty damn good, especially with focus assist
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #215
Regular Crew

Flip on Brevis?

Hey phill,
I've been following your review and have been wanting to thank you for a long time.
so, my question:
what did you mean by Flip?
is the Brevis Flip operational?

very intriguing..
Lior Molcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #216
Trustee

Thanks Lior

It has certainly generated a lot of interest, as long as it has informed people a bit about the differences then it has done it's job.

There is no Brevis flip currently, if there was it would still lose a stop and a half or so unless Dennis has performed magic making it.

Personally I don't need one now...my new camera, yes another camera is the new JVC HD201E. IT IS AMAZING!!! I believe it is currently the perfect adaptor camera for two very important reasons. One it is shoulder mounted and two it has a built in flip for viewfinder, lcd and recording. YES you no longer have to do some magnet trip, stick a bit of metal in a hinge or have to mount a monitor upside down, you can use the camera like you are supposed to, on your shoulder with the viewfinder to your eye. Finally I can shoot 35m stuff like I shoot normally with the pro cameras. It is a complete revelation. The viewfinder is pretty damn sharp, no focus issues, especially with JVCs incredible focus assist, like peaking but better. The LCD is also pin sharp, better than the Z1s. All in all this is the camera to use for adaptors and once Dennis makes a relay for the Brevis or Redrock for the M2 it will be even better as it is slightly longer than I would like due to having to use the stock lens but the lens is still within easy reach to focus.

I really cannot sing this combo's praises enough. shooting 35mm stuff is going to be a darn sight easier from now on!

Unfortunately I feel down the stairs yesterday whilst doing an early spring clean so am rather house bound, I will try and crawl out of my bed tomorrow and do some test shots with it and post on the web.
Attached Images

Old February 8th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #217
Major Player

Looks very nice. I was hoping to be able to do the handheld run&gun thing with the HD100 and Brevis and your pic shows that you can. How does the Focus Assist work with the primes? Still getting the blue lines? Can't wait to get my adaptor....

I hope you recover soon. ;-)
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #218
Trustee

Cameraman's back never good, even before falling down the stairs!

The focus assist is actually really quite subtle with the adaptor on, you have to really look hard to see it but i find the viewfinder so sharp and crisp you can really tell when you have focus, compared to what I was getting with the HVX it's like having corrective laser eye surgery!
Old February 9th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #219
Major Player

Fell down the stairs...yikes. Evidently you're still typing :-) I guess I better get on that relay lens project sooner than later. Btw, our latest adjustable brevis clamp should work on those rails Phil.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #220
Inner Circle

Phil.

"Backs" aren't funny and you definitely have my sympathies on that one.

You might investigate getting a vest. Ask your doc about it. There is some resistence to these things as they tend to provoke a need to visit the throne room due to abdominal compression, are generally a bit uncomfortable and restrictive and there is always the joke baggage about women's corsets.

You don't have to wear it all the time but pre-emptively if you sense that back strain is going to be an issue over a long day. It may helpextend the working life of your back in the occupation which is your passion and enjoyment.

Again ask your doc on that one for what I spout here is likely to be rubbish.

I think you will find the JVC flavour of focus assist actually seems to work better with an adaptor as the "in-focus" subject seems to be more differentiated than with the deeper depth of field with the normal lens direct-to-camera. where in a hurry I find myself getting confused.

I am also a shortsighted cameraman which is not good because in a life of soft focus as a "normality" one sometimes forgets the image needs to be sharpened. The focus assist tends to remind one of the fact and becomes reflexive to use.

Leastways that was my brief experience with the JVC-Mini35.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #221
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wood
Fell down the stairs...yikes. Evidently you're still typing :-) I guess I better get on that relay lens project sooner than later. Btw, our latest adjustable brevis clamp should work on those rails Phil.
How long before you will have a working one Dennis? By the way did you get my question I emailed you about the CF2 issue I was having? Only managed to shoot stuff in the house with the Brevis and JVC so far, but I am amazed at how much you can get away with no extra lights even without gain.
Old February 11th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #222
Trustee

with regards to relays for the jvc...is there anyone with much experience with the mini 35 who thinks it could be possible to take the relay for that camera and use it with other adaptors out there. likewise, take quyen's letus relay and adapt it for other adaptors?
Old February 11th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #223
Trustee

JVC and Brevis test video online now

I have made a little short round the corner from me where I filmed the shootout. It's on my website under "35mm shorts 2" and more in depth in the shootout section under it's own page.

Phil

P.S. I also did some fine tuning with the Nikon mount on both Brevis adaptors. Really hard to get it exactly right, but it paid off in the end. Got some very sharp images and real edge to edge sharpness too.

Last edited by Phil Bloom; February 11th, 2007 at 04:57 PM.
Phil Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #224
Trustee

Phil, great shots and composition. On the shorts 2 film I noticed vignetting on left and right edges of images. Was this done in post or in camera? It's not overly obvious, but enough to notice if you didn't want it there to begin with.

Any pictures of the rig - that would be sweet to see as well!
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #225
Regular Crew

I own a Sony Z1 equipped with a chrosziel mattebox.
This mattebox already gives me a support system.
I suppose I only need to get longer rods if I want to use a brevis or m2 with it..
I think the brevis suits my needs best. Quick set up/light weight.
Will the brevis supportadapter fit on the rods of my chrosziel?
The chrosziel rods are 15mm thick and have 4.5 cm space in between them.
Is Cinevate supplying extra long rods? How thick are they.
Anyone experience with this set up?
Advice highly appreciated.
Jane Snijders is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods