Redrock, Brevis, SGPro Shootout - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 29th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #46
Major Player

Well, I could ship you a nice PC. (sorry, couldn't resist...I love Macs too)
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 01:26 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom
yes it is arne

I have hit a snag with the results. My Mac's firewire ports have completely stopped responding. I have no idea why and have tried all sorts of fixes. Until I get this fixed I can't access any of the footage. If anyone can help I would be very grateful!
Don't know Macs, but I stuggled with my firewire ports for a long time on my PC, turned out it was a bad cable. I assume you have tried different cables...
Old January 2nd, 2007, 10:00 AM   #48
Trustee

yeah. it loos like the firewire bus has somehow burnt out. Going to get the files onto a usb2 drive so I can still do the write up.

I have also got a new mac pro on order which will make everything SOOO much easier.
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Hi Phil, have you fixed the firewire problem ?

If you are busy on work, I wonder whether you can quickly post up few screengrabs from the similar scene for each adapter before writing your review. A daylight outdoor shoot (w/o cc) would be very helpful.

many thanks ~
Ing Poh Hii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #50
Trustee

Sorry Ing,

Still got the firewire issue. My Macbook is in for repair. I have a Mac Pro due for delivery this week so fingers crossed by next weekend the review will done!

Phil
Old January 6th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #51

a little off topic, but, nevertheless...
a lot of manufacturers are now warning about hot plugging/unplugging 6-pin firewire connections. 2 of the pins carry power...apparently it's quite possible to short the power pins to one of the other pins. if the devices aren't shut off, you stand the risk of burning them out.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #52
Trustee

Bill,

You are spot on. Both my imac and macbook pro firewires have been blown by hotswapping Western Digital MY book firewire drives. Let that be a warning to you all!!!!

My MacPro arrives on Monday (just checked tracking) I have now learned my lesson!
Old January 8th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Thank you Phil,

I thought it was just a replacement of a firewire cable.. now you have sent in for repairing.. that is bad, i hope you won't lose your data and everything turns up allright especially your new Mac.

Look forward to your review next week : ).
Old January 9th, 2007, 09:14 AM   #54
Trustee

Hey Phil, whilst the trusty post systems delivers you your new MAC - what types of test results might we expect in your report anyway?

Cheers mate and thanks for doing this - interest to many folk around here.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #55
Trustee

something very very wrong with my external hard drives. My new mac pro firewire has died the day I got it. It has to be the western digital my drive I have, sending too much power of something. I know one thing. I will never plug it into a firewire port again. Three macs, all with dead firewire.

Dennis,

The three are very similar in quality of images, with strengths and weaknesses for all. It will be a question of what each individual is looking for with a toss up between flexibility, set up time, picture quality, daily use and light loss.
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #56
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom
The three are very similar in quality of images, with strengths and weaknesses for all. It will be a question of what each individual is looking for with a toss up between flexibility, set up time, picture quality, daily use and light loss.
Can you also include total weight of complete setup with or without lens, and with or without camera (since I don't remember what camera you were using)?

I've used XL2 and mini35 a lot, it weighs near 13lbs. More once you throw a lens, matte box and wireless receiver on it. This data would be great.

Any chance for you to perform the write-up in advance of posting screen shots or footage?
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #57
New Boot

Phil, can't you use the USB2 on the MyBook?
Once you've got your footage off, I'd bin it and bite the bullet for a G-Drive or G-RAID. Wonderfull bits of kit.

I'm really sorry to hear about your fried ports. Not a funny situation to be in.
Mike Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:05 PM   #58
Regular Crew

Phil, if possible, please can you check your mailbox...

many thanks.
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:10 PM   #59
Trustee

i promise to have this done asap. The new mac is being shipped tomorrow and will arrive on monday. I will remove the P2 files off the bad hardrive using usb2 when i get this. Once I have done that I will write it up.

Again, sorry for the delay!
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #60
Regular Crew

Thank you very much Phil, I thought you have lost your data and hesitate to write a review without footage to show...

Thanks a lot again, look forward to this next week. I shall buy you a drink (if you don't mind I myself can't drink :-).. get drunk by just half a cup of lagar.. ;p).
Ing Poh Hii is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods