SLR viewfinder? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 13th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

SLR viewfinder?

Has anyone figured out why... when you pop the battery in and out of your 35mm SLR camera, the viewfinder goes from dark and grainy to bright and grainless? I thought it was something with the lens, but it happens even when the lens is removed. I noticed on my Nikon D50, not sure if all SLR's do this.

Someone mentioned this before so it may have been answered, I couldnt find the thread.
Donnie Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:52 PM   #2
Trustee

when you turn off your camera, theviewfinder defaults to closed position, revealing a dark image. no magic, sorry. the thread about this earlier was answered the same way, although i can't find it either.
Old December 14th, 2006, 01:58 AM   #3
Major Player

Do I understand correctly that you have lens on the camera body when you experience this? As it really depends on camera.
For example Canon EOS cameras deafault to open iris and Nikon cameras will close the iris when powered down. I guess that you can override closed iris without power via iris ring when the lens has iris ring.

Regs,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Toenis,
It happens with or without the lens.
Ben,
There is no mechanical "closing" going on in the viewfinder. The only explanation I can come up with is that there is a liquid crystal light shutter built into the viewfinder.

Here is a demo with a LED light, take a look...
http://media.putfile.com/D50-viewfinder
Donnie Wagner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods