DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Sony Z1 and various adapter experices so far... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/82114-sony-z1-various-adapter-experices-so-far.html)

Geunwoong Chung December 19th, 2006 07:11 PM

Sony Z1 and various adapter experices so far...

Hello, everyone.
Here's my personal review on various adapters I've used so far.
I have a Sony Z1, and hope it can help those with the same camera.

1) Letus35
It was the very first adapter I used. It was amazing how this little tube could do. However, the good feeling didn't last too long as I keep facing issues such as grain and soft focus.

2) M2
So I've switched to M2 with a hope that it will do me some good. But again, due to my personal incompetence, I couldn't get the set-up correct. I just couldn't get it.

3) Movietube
I was able to contact Christopher Haring, a real cool DP and person, for his idea on these adapters, and he told me Movietube was a really good match to the actual film look. It was a pretty challenging deal for me to purchase a Movietube since there's no way I could try before making a purchase. Well, I did it anyway. The result was wonderful. I just need more light, I mean a lot more, to get the nicely colored and bokeh-ed motion pictures. It's heavy and looks kinda awkward, but I still love my movietube. BTW, Haring's work rocks!

4) Mini35
This shop I know had a great deal on a Mini35 package rental, and I couldn't resist not to try it. Although Mini35 was a bit challenge to use - in terms of its size, required equipment to use with, and etc. - the result was nice.

5) SGpro
To be honest, I thought it as a M2 wannabe at the initial stage. (Sorry, Wayne. I am just trying be honest as possible) But I realized that I was wrong after an hour-long chat with Wayne online. First, this guy was (and still is) amazing in dealing with his client to-be's. He was always very quick and helpful on replying to various questions regaring his adapter. Well, the guy was nice and I had a extra bucks to spend for the time being, so I purchased one. The lead time was not too long unlike other adapter makers I've dealt with. For the first unit I've recieved, it had some problems with vignetting, and barrel distortion. But its' sharp focus and minimal light loss prevent it from being stucked in my garrage. I talked to Wayne for the resolution to these problems, and that was the time when SGpro R2 was at the final stage of production. I was lucky to use the very first R2 production unit, and was blown away with the images it produces. When considering every little details one looks into in order to get the right adapter for Sony Z1, SGpro R2 is the best there is. Well, because my unit was the first R2 ever made and there was not really enough time for Wayne to consider every possilbe problems, my SGpro R2 had a problem: the dust that is. My unit is currently under another renovation stage at the moment under the master's hand.

6) Brevis35 and others...
I've got my Brevis35 about 4 months ago, but I haven't really had a time to play with it. I will try to write my opinion on this baby.

Thank you for reading my messege. Happy holidays!

Chris Barcellos December 19th, 2006 07:59 PM

I have the FX1, and actually have built my own spinning disk adapter based on the Redrock DIY plans.

I am using the Brevis achromat, but find I have to have the front of camera about 5 inches away from the ground glass to adequately focus and zoom.

Are you having that issue with the Brevis ? Any frame grabs or clips from the Brevis ?

Ben Winter December 20th, 2006 12:36 AM

I have an FX1 and Brevis. I had about a 5 hour shoot the other day at a Godiva store and we only had 5 hours exactly from setup to teardown, so I was glad that the Brevis was literally screw on and go. Really produced some stunning images. On my 42" plasma HDTV, the in-focus elements were almost as sharp as non-adapter footage. I couldn't tell if it was compression artifacting or not but when scrutinizing the edges and details like hair on this TV (connected via component output from FX1), footage had a very minute "plaster" look to it. Looked fine on my computer monitor afterwards though.

Chris, I'm not sure why your GG has to be so far away from the camera. Are you zooming in too far?

Chris Barcellos December 20th, 2006 12:54 AM

I assume I got the same achromat from Brevis, so I would think it would work like yours, unless the Brevis has an intervening element between the SLR lens and GG, so I will review my procedures.

Ben, 2 Questions:
1/ what is manual zoom set at in your optimum setup. Mine is gives me good focus from 30-54 in the zoom range, without running into vignetting.

2/ Approximately how far is it from the front element of the achromat to the ground glass.

Bob Hart December 20th, 2006 04:02 AM

Chris

QUOTE "I am using the Brevis achromat, but find I have to have the front of camera about 5 inches away from the ground glass to adequately focus and zoom."

>> The camera type and its individual characteristic set the ballpark to some degree.

What you have there is consistent with the rules affecting my own arrangement if you take the flip function out of the path.

Wayne Kinney December 20th, 2006 05:44 AM

Geunwoong,

A very honest write up. Yeah that is the problem with hybird/part upgraded units. To be honest im glad you sent it back to be upgraded with the proper R2 machined parts, and i've also had more time to tweak setup since your last unit.

Im really looking forward to seeing some footage from yourself and the SGpro, you are involved in some very high end projects!

Stephen Lee December 29th, 2006 06:15 PM

Ok, this thread made me a little depressed about my own disposable income. lol Looking forward to your views on the Brevis! And with all that gear, how about an A, B, C, D...etc. comparison with some footage? That would be very cool.