EE-S screen being impractical? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 27th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EE-S screen being impractical?

I'm currently building a 35mm adapter for use of my university final year project. Which will be a REAL SERIOUS digital film production.
I have bought a EE-S focusing screen and made an adapter for the Sony PD170.
With the SLR lens at f3.5 it is still extremely dark for a well lit indoor shot(Which is a big problem). I will NEVER use any gain on the camera since it is as worse as boosting gamma in post production. So keep gain at 0db all the time. I've seen tests in the forum which uses max gain and it still looks real dark.
I will get myself a 50mm f1.8 lens to try later. But if it is the only lens I can use. Then I will never be able to use tele lens=it sucks.
Will the brighter EE-A focusing screen will save my day(Since MINIMUM light loss and MAXIMUM dof is my ultimate concerm for 35mm adapter. )? Anyway I will need to buy a new screen for spare later. But I really want to buy the right screen. Easy focus is not my concern since we manual focus all the time.
Lau Ho Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #2
Major Player

I think the lens is the biggest factor here. And if you want a fast telephoto lens... start looking now. You'll find a deal eventually (a used, good condition 200 or 300mm f2 or f2.8 is going to be at least $1k).
Sam Jankis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods