lenses! w/400 bucks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 05:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

lenses! w/400 bucks

What mount should i get when i get an adapter?

I have a Cannon EOS Digital Rebel XT. So i was hoping i could use EOS lenses but the obvious issue with them is their aperture is stuck open.

I am not stuck on using EOS lenses at all, but inless people think its not that big of a deal for the aperture to be stuck open i will probably go with some thing else. How limiting is having the aperture stuck open?

Recommendations for other types of lenses would be nice. I am doing a lot of up close stuff with action figures for this goofy online series, but at the same time i do normal videos as well. I also for the time being will only be able to spend around $400 bucks on lenses. I would also like some lenses that later on i will be able to buy a pretty cheap digital slr body for (to replace my cannon rebel xt).
Old January 3rd, 2007, 05:40 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have been told that you can stop down EOS lenses by attaching them to the cam and putting aperture in manual mode. If you take the lens off again, it should be set to the aperture you selected. (possibly you might have to press the aperture preview button as well, you may need to experiment a bit).

This will require a bit of good thinking before you shoot (i.e. how much light do I have, how much DOF do I need) as you have to preselect the aperture, but it may be the best option for a limited budget. That is, if you have good glass for your 350, not talking kit lens.

Regarding the stop motion stuff with the action figures, I would not use a 35mm adapter for this at all. Macro is usually given away by the shallow DOF, so what you want for making action figures look large is deep DOF. It will be shallow enough to get your "characters" out of focus, because you are in macro mode and getting an inch of DOF there is actually a lot.

Good luck with your work,

Tom
Thomas Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter
Regarding the stop motion stuff with the action figures, I would not use a 35mm adapter for this at all. Macro is usually given away by the shallow DOF, so what you want for making action figures look large is deep DOF. It will be shallow enough to get your "characters" out of focus, because you are in macro mode and getting an inch of DOF there is actually a lot.
Good luck with your work,
Tom
thanks for your help, i was wondering if that worked with the aperture but i am actually not doing stop motion, or else i would just use my still camera. I am actually doing some thing more along the lines of team america. But even if it would be better if i just used some sort of macro lens i do do other more normal types of video that i would like to have a 35mm adapter for.

I am just wondering what people suggest. What are people happy with and what are considered good quality lenses that i would also be able to get a cheap dlsr body for (nikon d80 maybe?). I just want to think about the future and what would make the most sense in the long run. Right now i have a Digital EOS rebel xt but i'm not afraid of selling that for another body some time in the future.

any way i know this is a bit jumbled but i guess I dont want to go blow 600 bucks and of made the wrong decision.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:33 PM   #4
New Boot

Canon EOS zoom lenses

I am kinda of in the same boat, I have a Canon EOS w/ two Zoom lenses. I'm wondering whether I could invest in Canon compatible lenses that will work w/ the adaptor and my DSLR, but if they will always need to have aperture adjusted by the still cam, i might just want to get different types of lenses. In addition, will the Zoom lenses I have that are F 4.5 / 5.6 be able to be used with adaptors, or is it completley necessary to have the fastest possible lens. The amount of light that the Brevis lets in seems like they might work, however i dont even know if its possible to use zoom lenses w/ them.
Michael Goode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 03:55 AM   #5
Major Player

I`ve been using EOS cameras for years because of the ability to use almost any manual focus lens out there.

Once I got infected with all that DOF adaptor insanity I made a AF DOF adaptor based on an old EOS620 camera. Here you can see a compressed AF test shot made sometime in 2005 www.cinedof.com/test/dof_af_test_01.avi that was shot with f2.8 Tokina zoom lens.

One thing I learned years ago as a photographer when I got my hands on first AF lenses that those were heavy and bulky specially when with large apertures.

Definetly go with older MF lens. You can get 28mm f2 and 50mm f1.4 MF Nikon prime lenses for $200 total and stainless steel lens mount adaptors to fit those on EF mount will run you another $40 or so. With those two focal lenghts you will be able to do most of your work I quess. Just practice with composition as non-zoom lenses require more creative thinking and feet-zooming.

Cheers,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

thank you very much that helps a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goode
I am kinda of in the same boat, I have a Canon EOS w/ two Zoom lenses. I'm wondering whether I could invest in Canon compatible lenses that will work w/ the adaptor and my DSLR, but if they will always need to have aperture adjusted by the still cam, i might just want to get different types of lenses. In addition, will the Zoom lenses I have that are F 4.5 / 5.6 be able to be used with adaptors, or is it completley necessary to have the fastest possible lens. The amount of light that the Brevis lets in seems like they might work, however i dont even know if its possible to use zoom lenses w/ them.
Mike the one thing that i am aware of is that the EF-S type mounts that some eos lenses have will not work with any adapter. The EF mounts will work how ever. And as far as light, i think with those lenses you would probably have trouble indoors, but i am obviously no expert.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods