One of the first short films with SGPro/FX1 combo - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 10th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #16
Trustee

How does something like this look?

Notice how once you do some basic color correction "sharpness" can actually appear... well sharper!

Ah the tricks of the trade.. "sigh"
Attached Thumbnails
One of the first short films with SGPro/FX1 combo-whatasharplook.jpg  
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #17
Regular Crew

That looks very good, you have very well demonstrated why you got a real mini 35 and I don't ;-)
Ok, just kidding with the second part. Did you use unsharpen mask and some multi gamma CC or go further than that?

Now comes in the artistic element: it was desired to have a very golden look and as the CC options with video are a bit limited, I already lit/white balanced it that way. The softness adds to the atmosphere though it would be bragging to say it was on purpose.
Thomas Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #18
Trustee

Actually the XL2 & mini35 is for sale now. The setup I have will be replaced with a HVX200 and 35mm adapter - I just haven't decided on which 35mm adapter yet. I've pretty well decided on the SGpro r2 but have some final points to consider. I'm not in much of a rush except I have a music video to shoot in March, worst case scenario I can always rent a mini35 series 400.

As for the frame it was just some simple curves and sharpen in Photoshop - although unsharpen mask (found in NLE programs like Vegas) would also work well. This is an extremely powerful filter and quite amazing for use on SD footage if/when needed. If you like I can redo the curves setting and email it to you to see.

As for your point regarding f-stop usage, I can't emphasize what you've already said regarding DOF use. When I shoot I always aim for f4. Not so much because it is the "sweet spot" of a lens we all know it to be but because the DOF is not overpowering or distracting to the scene! I can't stand 35mm footage shot at f1.2 with any lens. It looks completely amateur and very un-film like.

I think the myth regarding use of only fast lenses with 35mm adapters came from people noticing that an adapter with 2 stops of light (not even including the lens yet) darkened their footage so much. Most people would say, "man you need a faster lens" and open the iris to full but that means you're shooting wide open.. and for many technical reasons (and aesthetically to some degree) shooting wide open is not acceptable. What you really need is lighting.

All scenes need lighting even when it should not look lit.

By the way - Did you use a monitor on set or flip the LCD screen with some trick-flip method? What are you editing on - Mac or PC? What's your workflow like?
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Dennis, I am one of the few Avid Liquid cutters out there. I really like this program, its a lot cheaper than Premiere Pro and offers good CC and HDV playback (my two most important features).
With my IBM core2 duo E6600 I get 4 HDV tracks running simultaneously.

I have a flip preset I can drag & drop at each clip after capturing/splitting (takes 2 secs per clip). It's a GPU real time effect, so I still get 4 layers of HDV, if I'd really need. From then onwards, I can work with the clips just like normal.

I did not flip the LCD at all. A simple no magnet no anything trick on the FX1 is to fold the LCD screen out, turn it, fold it back in upside down (LCD facing up). Past as certain spot, Image will rotate to show text/displays right side up. Move back a bit and it will "un"rotate, so text is upside down and image flipped. I will implement a mirror design on my LCD pretty soon, to get away from the "flip tricks".
I used the magnifying focus assist.

Ryan, some more shots as promised.

These are set in another "layer" of the plot and deliberately underexposed to look dull (dirty bar). The earlier shots were intended to look glamorous. This time I have added the lens in the filename. Again, no CC.
Attached Thumbnails
One of the first short films with SGPro/FX1 combo-establishing-shot-24mm.jpg   One of the first short films with SGPro/FX1 combo-barkeeper-portrait-reality-75mm.jpg  

One of the first short films with SGPro/FX1 combo-close-up-magic-bottle-75mm.jpg  
Old January 10th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Ok, one more update for tonight. Tõnis Liivamägi was so nice as to host the first clip on his server. Thank you very much, this is a great gesture.

http://www.cinedof.com/sgpro/SGPro_F...as_Richter.M2V

I have furthermore uploaded a second clip, with some more footage (to get a bit of variance). This one is set in another layer of the plot (see last post). Apart from the shot lighting the cigarette in the end, which belongs to the "glamorous" layer. Look at the apperture discs in this shot! Awesome - props to Wayne's GG.

19 secs, 47 mb.

http://rapidshare.com/files/11137972...r__2_.M2V.html
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:11 AM   #21
Major Player

Congratulations Thomas and Wayne!

Damn it looks nice considering it was filmed in CineFrame mode of the FX1.
Even more so if this would be delivered in 720p or on PAL DVD.

Thomas, I uploaded your second clip to our server so everybody can download it as long as the bandwidth lasts:
Download the second SGPro clip by Thomas Richter

I`ll try to watch those clips till I come up with at least some criticism, it`s hard you know.
I knew that on some day I will see a DOF adaptor footage where I can observe the bokeh characteristics created by the lens alone.

Cheers,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods