BEST 35mm adapter for shooting weddings? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 11th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Dennis.

I had a metal bar with a tripod hole drilled and tapped into it at centre and two plain holes near each end, one to suspend the camera inverted on the left side and one to support the monitor on the right. This kept the tripod load closer to balanced.

It is not ideal if shooting close to your moving subject as a pan right also becomes a sort of dolly in of about 5" for a 60 degree or so pan.

A side benefit is you may not have to pull focus if the subject moves from centre to right. It is just plain awkard and fiddly and cannot be handheld wich is why I abandoned this approach.

You could hang the camera out in front and the monitor behind and use it like a broadcast camera. A pan across a close subject then becomes almost a sort of lateral track but you don't see the dynamic change.

Flipping the image optically is not such an impossible deal and it would probably be a simpler challenge to build a flip attachment for the back of a Brevis or SGPro than to physically invert the CCD wedge in the camera.

This otherwise introduces all manner of potential issues like longer signal ribbon cables from the CCD sub-boards, with the possibility of new capacitive, inductive and RFI problems due to the longer unshielded cables and altered routing.

When attempting some repairs on a JVC, I was trouble shooting a dead green channel by swapping out the little sub-boards which plugged onto the back of the CCDs. Just disturbing the boards was enough to physically alter the optical registry of the red channel CCD.

If I was to go about doing the camera inversion thing again, I would make a box shaped frame to surround the camera body, mount the lower face to the tripod and use the upper face to suspend the camera inside, something like the cage they make for lightweight cameras to be fitted onto full steadycam rigs.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #17
Trustee

Thanks for your advise. It sure would be awesome thought to flip the CCD in camera!
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #18
Inner Circle

If the CCD wedge could be flipped and remain centrally registed on the lens axis it would be by far the best solution. What is the prospect of getting Panasonic to advise on an electronic in-camera flip solution?

With JVC going that route and JVC being owned by Panasonic or its parent, the intellectual property may have already gone across or be under development.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #19
Trustee

Bob,

Would Panasonic even advise on such a request ie. flipping around their CCD? I doubt they would even do that sort of thing but if you want to try for me that would be swell!

In the meantime I got my hands on an HVX and as you know from my other post www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=82245 I was considering the removal of the stock lens and designing a virtually no-light-loss relay lens (similar to the one in my mini35) to be used with some 35mm adapter (likely with help from the guys at Cinevate, SGPro or Daniel Schaumberger). This would be ultimate "low light loss", "no flip trick needed" 35mm HD camera.

You had sent me some email on the subject and I appologize for not responding as of yet. I've had a large collection of thought lately to have to deal with regarding the relay lens bit and didn't want to reply until I had something adequate or substantial to talk about. Thanks for your emails however.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 07:50 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hingsberg View Post
Bob,

Would Panasonic even advise on such a request ie. flipping around their CCD? I doubt they would even do that sort of thing but if you want to try for me that would be swell!

In the meantime I got my hands on an HVX and as you know from my other post www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=82245 I was considering the removal of the stock lens and designing a virtually no-light-loss relay lens (similar to the one in my mini35) to be used with some 35mm adapter (likely with help from the guys at Cinevate, SGPro or Daniel Schaumberger). This would be ultimate "low light loss", "no flip trick needed" 35mm HD camera.

You had sent me some email on the subject and I appologize for not responding as of yet. I've had a large collection of thought lately to have to deal with regarding the relay lens bit and didn't want to reply until I had something adequate or substantial to talk about. Thanks for your emails however.
Well, this is an old thread but if you take off the stock lens and design a relay lens for it, you still need to flip the footage afterwards. So that really does you no good, other than disable the camera for any non-adapter use and nix its resale value.
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:34 PM   #21
Regular Crew

yip

jason magbanua shoots weddings with a 35mm adapter all the time so it's definetely possible. I think he has someone tag along with him though just see he can make sure that he's got a shot to work with.
Josh Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:06 PM   #22
Major Player

Patrick shoots with a fleet of XH-A1's, the steadicam flyer, and two Brevis units: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ghlight=brevis

Light efficiency is his number one concern, so he uses the Brevis with our CF1L imaging element. From our discussions, the ability to pop the adapter on without rails, grab a few shots and remove it is also a major factor in their use of the adapter. His footage was good enough to catch the eye of some very interesting folks...more later :-)
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #23
Regular Crew

hi,

this thread is very interesting to me. I've shots lots of wedding using a 35mm adapter but i really need a relay lens instead of the stock one : too long ! i look like Terminator !

Here is one of those i prefer.
http://www.tophos.com/film.php?f=cecile-stephane
Old December 29th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #24
Major Player

There've been quite a few changes since this thread was fired up. Notably, Patrick and his crew at stillmotion.ca have won a WEVA award, are now sponsored Canon shooters (with a Canon national TV ad done using the Brevis!) and have a few more accolades they haven't announced yet. They're also the world's most prolific Brevis users with a fleet of adapters in their kit. We're pretty excited about fitting them out with a few of our flip modules to raise the bar once again for this talented crew.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods