vibration and noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 12th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #1
Major Player

vibration and noise

i just received my M2, haven't had chance to try to record something with it. I tried to turn adapter on and everything looks good, but when i tilt it down and point the floor, adapters vibration increases and noise coming out of it is stronger. The same occurs when i tilt up and point the ceiling. When im shooting straight and not tilting, vibration and noise decreases. Is it supposed to be so?
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Unless there is absolutely perfect counter-balancing acting directly on the centre plane of the mass of the orbiting groundglass panel and the crank throws themselves are separately balanced, force of gravity is a factor which is taken out of the equation when you point to the floor or ceiling.

At the degree of miniaturisation of the active parts which go into budget priced orbiting groundglass adaptors, absolutely perfect balance may be a difficult quest.

It is is not actually rattling or buzzing strongly which would indicate excessive mechanical clearances somewhere, I would not be overly concerned.

The mechanical loading on the junction between the camera and the adaptor also changes from unidirectional to omnidirectional so some dampening disappears when the dynamic forces generated in the adaptor become the only forces operating across the optical centreline.

If the adaptor is firmly fixed to the camera, one would think there should be no difference but cameras are comprised of lightweight plastic bodies and there is some compliance in the structure which gravity force or the outboard weight of the appliance in addition to its own resistive mass helps to dampen vibration the compliance permits when pointed directly up or down.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #3
Major Player

thanks Bob!
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods