DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Redrock Micro M2 with HVX200 Review (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/84757-redrock-micro-m2-hvx200-review.html)

Steev Dinkins January 25th, 2007 01:40 AM

Redrock Micro M2 with HVX200 Review

Hi there! Remember me? Well, I've been silent on here for a long time, and it really does indicate that I've found happiness. :) Ha ha ha! For those of you who may still be unhappy, and hence still searching endlessly, I would like to share with you what ended my search, at least for the foreseeable next few years.

My set up I'm sticking with is the Panasonic HVX200 and the Redrock Micro M2. I have the full kit with gears and follow focus, etc. I like the gears, love the the follow focus, however, I haven't used them much on shoots, because I like to shoot in the chaos and see what I get. With more controlled shoots, I will thank myself for having the gears and FF.

I am thrilled to finally have a grain free image, as well as rock solid construction. Everything is easy to set up, and I'm using the LCD flip trick to be able to run and gun with this setup.

Now, on to something to see. To start with, I know much has been posted, and there are a lot of other adapters out there, and God bless them all. Here are some test and production shots using the M2.

Adjustable DOF Examples
Example 1 with fully open iris.
Example 1 with iris closed a bit (I can't remember the f-stop)

Example 2 with fully open iris.
Example 2 with iris closed a bit

Lens used: Tokina TO288028NAF Zoom W/A-Telephoto AF 28-80mm f/2.8 AT-X 280AF Pro AF Lens

A bunch more screen grabs can be viewed here.

One example; a documentary piece on Soul In The Machine. The interview footage shot with the M2 gave me the filmic shallow dof look I was going for, intercut with with the deep dof footage from the stock HVX200 as a B-roll cam, and for demonstration video.

There it is, I just wanted to finally post my findings on the M2 and state that I am thrilled by it, and I've been able to sleep at night for the last year.

-steev

Andzei Matsukevits January 25th, 2007 02:27 AM

how long it took you to set up your M2? FFL, distance between hvx and m2 etc...?

I have same set up as you, but can't get picture all throught sharp, yet...

Maheel Perera January 25th, 2007 10:33 AM

Back after a long long shoot.

Steve, if I remember correct you were quite happy with the MPIC by Dan. What made you switch oiver to M2.

To Bob Hart,

Please send me an e-mail if you are reading this. Sorry for the long delay.

Steev Dinkins January 25th, 2007 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andzei Matsukevits
how long it took you to set up your M2? FFL, distance between hvx and m2 etc...?

I was up and running in a day of tweaking. I moved the CineScreen to calibrate infinity focus for my Nikon lenses - I couldn't move it any further, so I'm glad I actually got infinity with it. I used shims to get the HVX200 at proper height. Regarding the distance between the HVX200 and M2, it's really not that critical, I've found. I just make sure that rubber hood is snug around the Macro, and it's a matter of focusing with the HVX200 near wide, and zooming in to get rid of seeing the motor. I can get you exact zoom/focus settings if desired, but even those will vary from HVX to HVX, as discovered when testing with different HVX cameras.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maheel Perera
Steve, if I remember correct you were quite happy with the MPIC by Dan. What made you switch over to M2.

Well I said I wasn't gonna compare, but here's some comparisons. MPIC - couldn't get rid of all grain artifacts or vignetting. The M2 grain is non-existant - completely; it's very luxurious and smooth. However the MPIC loses significantly less light than the M2, and is has a slightly sharper image. I miss the light sensitivity of the MPIC, to tell the truth. I liked the MPIC gears for the follow focus better than Redrock, but the Redrock gears are easier to take on and off. The M2 has a softer more natural bokeh than the MPIC, the MPIC having a more grainy bokeh when bright lights are out of focus. However, the MPIC has no ghosting, whereas the M2 slightly does. The MPIC's battery life was frustrating. The M2's battery life rules! The MPIC couldn't be used while stopping down lenses to control DOF - you'd get horrendous grain. However, with the M2, the DOF is entirely controllable! The M2 can be used stopping down lenses as far as you can, provided you have enough light to do so. The M2 is also a bit more affordable, available, and has a community as support, inspiration, etc. I'd like to conclude that Dan Diaconu's support and communication is world class, and the MPIC is an astounding device.

So all in all, there are trade offs. I love both of them, but the M2 was what I decided to go with.

-steev

Chris Barcellos January 25th, 2007 11:42 AM

Steve:

On the technical side, and as one who has built my own Redrock version, you seem to be able to keep in focus easily on the hand held shots.

What kind of techniques are used to do that ?

Steev Dinkins January 25th, 2007 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
On the technical side, and as one who has built my own Redrock version, you seem to be able to keep in focus easily on the hand held shots. What kind of techniques are used to do that ?

Thanks for the interest Chris. Regarding focus, I always use the EVF peaking on the HVX and I've gotten used to what being in focus looks like. Beyond that, it's just taking risk, winging focus on the fly, and finding what's good while editing. I know this could totally not work for exact shots composed by a detail oriented director, but it sure works for me. I'd just make sure that either I'm the director and shooter, or the director is aware of this approach I'm going for and to trust me.

Dennis Hingsberg January 25th, 2007 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Steve:

On the technical side, and as one who has built my own Redrock version, you seem to be able to keep in focus easily on the hand held shots.

What kind of techniques are used to do that ?

Shooting for f4 on your lens helps since your DOF is not as big.

Nice work by the way Steev!

Steev Dinkins October 9th, 2007 04:31 PM

Thought I'd share in the name of tech talk/deconstruction/whatever. New video completed with the M2. Love the footage for the most part. Only gripe is the light loss and distortion at times. Otherwise, very very happy with it.

http://www.holyzoo.com/media/video/H...0x405_2Mbs.mov

Cheers!

-steev