Good matte box for adapter use at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 25th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Good matte box for adapter use

What are people using for matte boxes with their adapters? I've heard enough bad things about Cavision to want to stay away from them. But what else is there in the $500 range? Here's what I'm looking for:

1.) 2 filter holders (one rotating)
2.) Eyebrow/frenchflag (whichever you call it) and possibly side flags
3.) A big impression. Experienced DP's will note that actors and crew are more interested in a shoot if the camera looks impressive. And much of that impression is given by the matte box (who knows why, it's just what they see). So a big matte box or one with nice big side flaps will always look more impressive than just a sunshade.

Has anyone used one of these: http://www.geardear.com/
Looks like a good solution.
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #2
Major Player

We use the Formatt Matte Box with our Redrock/XL H1. Decent price and has everything you mentioned. I'm not at a computer where I have them, but I'll post some pics of the setup if you like.
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, Dave. Is that the screw-on kind or do they make a rails-mounted one? I think I'm looking for a rails-mount that will work with multiple lenses.
Old January 26th, 2007, 06:15 AM   #4
Trustee

its screw on.

i have a cavision one, i have no probs with it
Old January 26th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #5
Major Player

Which Cavision do you have, Phil? They seem like they'd work alright. I've heard the most complaints about the 4x4 bellows matte box. Something about the filters not fitting right or the shade being flimsy.

So has no one used the Geardear?
Old January 26th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #6
Trustee

Having handled a couple of Cavisions, I would go with the Formatt. The Formatt is a pretty decent MB. For it's price you really cant get anything better. Just make sure you avoid the so called indie stuff (read junk) that has invaded the market recently. Indiemattebox, HD mattebox and whatever else they are called. Also avoid the cheap Indian MBs on Ebay. If you go for a MB, go for a real one.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #7
New Boot

Cavisions & Formatt

Michael, I agree'd 100% with your post re. the SGPro, and it seems we have similar production needs and shooting styles.

Could you elaborate a little re. the Cavision and how it disappointed you? I know alot of people had issues with the bellows version. But I was hoping the 4x5 hard MB would be a reasonable solution. And from the pictures the Formatt's looked a little flimsy: they're not? It's a great price. But the Cavisions offer a swing-away option, which would make changing primes so much faster.

FWIW I've only worked with Chrozsiel & Cinetech MB's before, so that's what I'd be comparing the Formatt (or the Cavision) to. And looks are the last thing I care about: Is it solid enough to take some use w/o getting loose or a knurl knob breaking? Is it fast and convenient to use? And do they make a rods mount?

Thanks for your input.
Jack Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Davidson
Michael, I agree'd 100% with your post re. the SGPro, and it seems we have similar production needs and shooting styles.

Could you elaborate a little re. the Cavision and how it disappointed you? I know alot of people had issues with the bellows version. But I was hoping the 4x5 hard MB would be a reasonable solution. And from the pictures the Formatt's looked a little flimsy: they're not? It's a great price. But the Cavisions offer a swing-away option, which would make changing primes so much faster.

FWIW I've only worked with Chrozsiel & Cinetech MB's before, so that's what I'd be comparing the Formatt (or the Cavision) to. And looks are the last thing I care about: Is it solid enough to take some use w/o getting loose or a knurl knob breaking? Is it fast and convenient to use? And do they make a rods mount?

Thanks for your input.

As I said, I haven’t used the cavisions, only handled them, and it was the bellows version by they way. If by 4x5 you mean the 4X5.65 (MB4169H) MBs, they look ok on the pictures. But knowing Cavision’s built quality I wouldn’t hold my breath on it holing up against the Chrosziels or Cinetechs. Since the MB4169H cost basically the double of a Formatt I would rather go with the Formatt. But as I said I haven’t seen one of the MB4169H up close. Just judging by the other Cavision products I have handled like their FF and the bellows MB.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #9
New Boot

Thanks

Thanks Michael, I'll take that with a small grain of salt, but build quality matters.
Jack Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #10
Major Player

I've been looking at Cavision's site and I've never heard anyone comment on this MB:

http://www.cavision.com/matteboxes/5x5mb/MB5086H2.htm
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

It doesn't look too bad for $750 and has the swing-away feature.

I've also been considering some form of a Petroff, but I don't know what would be the best for my needs. I know I want the ability to have two filters on at once and one of them rotating. Other than that I really know the difference between a 4x4, 5x5 or 16x9. I shoot in 16x9, does that mean I need a 16x9 matte box? Or is it that 5x5 just allows for more wide angles?

And then as far as mount type goes, wouldn't it be better to have bar supports when using a 35mm adapter and Nikon lenses? I can't imagine being able to clamp it on any way and still be able to focus. So would I be able to get something like this and then add on support for the 15mm bars? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Go here and click on the Petroff image to see the mounts I can't find anywhere else: http://store.zacuto.com/product.php?...9&cat=0&page=1

This leads me to my final novice MB question: If it was mounted via rails how would any one of these Matte boxes attach to the lens? I think the diameter of my Nikons are around 52mm. So how would I work with either of these options?

Sorry for the beginner questions, but I'm new to this kind of gear. Thanks!
Old January 27th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra
Thanks, Dave. Is that the screw-on kind or do they make a rails-mounted one? I think I'm looking for a rails-mount that will work with multiple lenses.
Actually it clamps on, but, there is a screw in ring that comes with it which the matte box clamps on to.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods