DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Custom Gear Rings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/85822-custom-gear-rings.html)

Jon Wolding February 6th, 2007 01:15 PM

Custom Gear Rings

I've been using RRM's plastic gear rings with my old, Arri FF and they're just too big in diameter. I have to loosen bolts to get smooth action.

After following up a lead on underwater gear rings made by Ikelite (dirt cheap, but made of cheap-looking plastic), I found another underwater gear company called Aquatica. After contacting them, I purchased a set of custom gear rings (none of their "press type" gears would fit my particular lenses, but those would be ideal). The custom rings are CNCed out of aluminum and use set screws similar to Dan D's, but these rings will be much smaller in diameter and will have less space between the focus ring and the gear ring itself.

The price? $100 per ring.

Ben Winter February 6th, 2007 02:38 PM

All I have to say is, people who sell gear rings and matte boxes for the prices they go at now...are making a killing.

Sam Jankis February 6th, 2007 02:55 PM

The Ikelite gear rings are all less than $10. For that price, you could get a bunch and just let them wear out.

On the other hand, it's nice to have well-made, perfect-fit gear.

Jon Wolding February 7th, 2007 01:08 PM

It's not cheap, but it's not as expensive as rplens.com for example. I wanted less bulk and more solidity. I think this will do it.

Jon Wolding February 26th, 2007 10:38 AM

WARNING: DO NOT ORDER THESE GEAR RINGS!

I'm very sorry to say this, but these gear rings DO NOT come in the standard 32 TPI. Also, Jean at Aquatica didn't seem to care much that I dropped a load of cash on a product that will not work even though I ASKED him if it would work with a standard follow focus unit.

I'm looking into getting a new pinion gear made locally, so hopefully I'll not lose out completely.

Ben Winter February 26th, 2007 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Wolding
I've been using RRM's plastic gear rings with my old, Arri FF and they're just too big in diameter. I have to loosen bolts to get smooth action.

After following up a lead on underwater gear rings made by Ikelite (dirt cheap, but made of cheap-looking plastic), I found another underwater gear company called Aquatica. After contacting them, I purchased a set of custom gear rings (none of their "press type" gears would fit my particular lenses, but those would be ideal). The custom rings are CNCed out of aluminum and use set screws similar to Dan D's, but these rings will be much smaller in diameter and will have less space between the focus ring and the gear ring itself.

The price? $100 per ring.

Redrock sells FF gears at something like $60 a pop. Dan D's are the same price as these Aquaticas. I'm curious why didn't you go either of those routes?

Jon Wolding February 27th, 2007 12:12 AM

The outer diameter of the RRM and Dan D's gears are too big to work well with my Arri FF. I'm not willing to part with the Arri, it's so nice. No other FF in it's price range can touch it (I got it used)... gear-driven (no belts) and built like a tank.

Update:
Dropped by a local machine shop and they're going to make me a custom pinion gear... cheaper than retooling the gear rings. In the future, I'll just have these guys make my focus gear rings.