DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   A few questions for XL2 owner (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/85896-few-questions-xl2-owner.html)

Tim Bickford February 7th, 2007 09:01 AM

A few questions for XL2 owner

I have a Canon XL2 and have been drooling over these "Letus" adaptors for some time. Now I'm ready to finally purchase one.

I want the flip version - so that my image is not up-side-down. However, I'm a bit confused about which model to order. The Letus35 Flip Enhanced or the Letus XL. I'm really not too sure of the differences.

Also, regarding the Lens mount (Canon FD or Nikon AI or swapable metal mount) is it best to get the swapable. Since I currently do not have any 35mm lenses?

What is the difference between Basic Letus35 version or Letus35A?

Thanks....

Ben Winter February 7th, 2007 10:54 AM

This is my understanding--

The Letus 35 Flip Enhanced is for other, fixed-lens cameras with screwmounts that want a flip function. The LetusXL is for the XL series bayonet mount (what you have) with a relay lens (what you want).

A swappable metal mount is always great to have, but I had one for a while and basically just stuck with one kind of lens. Once you get used to a certain brand/model, you kind of fall in love with it and "join the club." It's up to you. I'd get the swappable to keep options open, but if it saves you money, I'd just pick a mount and go with it.

Bob Hart February 7th, 2007 07:01 PM

Swappable mount.

I would recommend you get the dedicated mount for each lens type rather than the reversable mount. With the reversable mount you may encounter stablilty issues with the Nikons when you set backfocus unless Quyen has since revised the reversable mount.

Tim Bickford February 7th, 2007 07:30 PM

Thanks for the help. I guess it comes down to what type of 35mm lenses I'll most likely use Canon FD or Nikon AI metal.

I just want to make sure... the LetusXL is the flip version. The image will not be upsidedown?

Thanks again!

Wade Spencer February 8th, 2007 11:35 AM

The LetusXL flips the image...it will not be upside in your viewfinder.

Phil Bloom February 8th, 2007 12:52 PM

it will work well. you will lose a fair bit of light with it. Shooting SD you should be fine with any grain artifacts. Enjoy.

Tim Bickford February 8th, 2007 03:05 PM

I'm a little concerned about what Bob wrote -

"Swappable mount. I would recommend you get the dedicated mount for each lens type rather than the reversable mount. With the reversable mount you may encounter stablilty issues with the Nikons when you set backfocus unless Quyen has since revised the reversable mount."

Anyone know if Quyen has fixed this?

Thanks

Phil Bloom February 9th, 2007 02:15 AM

I agree with Bob. The reversible mount is horrible. Held in by one little screw and not lockable with Nikon Lenses. You can buy your own mount buy it would be tricky getting into the right spot for focusing on the screen. Check with Quyen if he can do it for you

Tim Bickford February 9th, 2007 09:06 PM

Thanks for all the info... I'm making the plunge next week.

Phil Bloom February 10th, 2007 03:02 AM

If you do it yourself i dont know easy it would be to do. It is essential it is in exactly the right spot for proper back focus. You would have to do some mods to the Letus front end to fit a different mount on, a bit of drilling etc. Bob is your man to explain what exactly

Bob Hart February 10th, 2007 11:52 AM

Offtopic for Ben Winter.

I got three bouncebacks on the last added bit I sent regarding your enquiry. On a re-read of what I sent I noticed I had failed to address one point of your enquiry, so here it is in reprise.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""'

I forgot to mention in my earlier email that I tried using a single gyro pair on my original gadget and found that if one axis, in this case the yaw or panning axis, is not restrained, the involuntary movements on that axis seem to be accentuated, probably because the other movements are dampened.

It is not a big deal but seems noticable. The inertial resistence to movement operating on the other two axes probably conditions the human hand to expect it on the third but I think one could train for that very quickly.

Your intended method of dampening the camera is apparently not commonly used in the Kenlabs most simple single-axis arrangement. The common arrangement of the gyro axis running parallel to the lens axis, dampens against pitch (tilts) and yaw (pans) but leaves roll (dutchies) movements undampened

The method of attaching to the camera baseplate you propose is fine. Kenlabs gyros mechanically fix to the baseplate the same way with an inner thumbscrew and tommybar for tensioning down firm much as a tripod does.

However, it is the dampened axes which are different to your proposed arrangement. Rolls (dutchies) or movements of the horizon are probably less of a problem than vertical or horizontal movements of the entire image which is likely why some have gone this route when using a single Kenlabs gyro unit.