Nikon Lenses & Mini 35 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 22nd, 2004, 09:28 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Nikon vs Canon lenses on P+S

Everyone talking about Nikons on P+S adapter...
Why are they better than Canon EFs?
Old September 22nd, 2004, 11:09 AM   #17
New Boot

I use EFs on my mini and I get great results. The EFs are AF lenses(Automatic Focusi) so there's absolutely no manual control except for focus and zoom...your stuck with the default aperture setting the lens come with. Since the EF lenses are used with the Canon EOS Digital Camera, the aperture setting changes are made in camera. The Nikons, expect for the AFs lenses, are manual thus giving you aperture control on the lens.....I haven't used the Nikons so I couldn't give you a side by side comparo but I've heard that there equal in image quality......Good thing for us EF users the mini has the relay to help with exposure issues.
Damon Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 04:48 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Best lenses for p+s?

Thanks Damon!

These days I'm finishing my homemade optical adapter on XL1S and I used old Praktica/pentacon (screwmount) lenses. I didn't expected nothing special, but it turned that footage was REALLY GOOD! Whats your experience, wich lenses are best for groundglass optical adapters?
I'm also buying p+s, PLs are out of my budget, so whats the best solution?
Old November 26th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #19
Major Player

Using fixed focus Nikon or Zoom lens?

Hi
(I've briefly done a search for this but could't see anything relevant)
Is there a qualitative difference between using a fixed focus Nikon lens with the Mini35 compared to a zoom lens Nikon? I notice that most folks here seem to stock up on a range of focal length lenses instead of using a zoom that would cover all the focal lengths. Also, is there a recommended minimum lens F number for lenses used with the Mini35?
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 11:38 PM   #20
Major Player

I think Neil Young said it best:
" 'Prime lenses are better' bumper stickers should be issued"
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 02:00 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I can't tell if John Benton is joking, but I'll bite.

I just took delivery of a RedRock M2 with a Nikon F mount and have quite a few Nikon lenses in my collection. I don't really see the shipped assembly being adequate for mounting anything the size of a Nikon 70-200mm VR zoom, let alone a 200mm f2 , 300mm f/2.8 or 400mm f/2.8 prime.

I think the short answer to your question is that many people are buying old but "fast" primes due to their value at a low price point. The adage is that f/1.4 or f/2 primes are sharper at f/2.8 than an f/2.8 zoom would be. I would totally agree. My 28mm, 50mm or 85mm f/1.4 are MUCH sharper at f/2.8 than my 28-70mm or 70-200mm. At the tele end, my 200mm f/2 is WAY sharper than the 70-200mm. If you plan to use a teleconverter and stop down for additional sharpness, you're really losing out on wider apertures with a zoom. Also, if you bought the 35mm adapter for a narrow DOF, you should be using a lens that can deliver narrow DOF.

Of Nikon's f/2.8 zooms, the 17-55mm DX is the sharper than the 28-70mm wide open, but the DX is designed for a smaller image circle.

Check out the Nikon SLR forum at dpreview.com, or nikonians.org.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #22
Major Player

Gints, thanks very much for the detailed info, sounds like I need to consider a fixed focal length solution.
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 05:27 PM   #23
Major Player

Greg,

I would definitly reccomend picking up your Nikon lenses via ebay or the used section on Bhphoto.com can have some. Breating is always said to be an issue with these still photo lenses, but I have never had a big problem with any of the super speed Nikon primes.

-David Frank
Old November 30th, 2006, 04:16 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Quinn
Gints, thanks very much for the detailed info, sounds like I need to consider a fixed focal length solution.
You're on your way. Though, I have to say that the very fast Nikon lenses aren't particularly cheap, with a 28mm f/1.4 around $2000 , the 85mm f/1.4 around $900 , the 105mm f/2 DC ~$1000, the 135mm f/2 DC ~ $1000 . The less expensive options are the 50mm f/1.8 ~$100, 50mm f/1.4 ~$200, 35mm f/2 ~$300, 85mm f/1.8 $300 . If you're willing to go for f/2.8 primes that aren't particularly sharp wide open, then you can save some serious dough unless you are going for lenses 300mm or longer.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 08:42 PM   #25
Major Player

Why not use a zoom lens with the Mini35? I was thinking of getting one for obvious reasons that I can't get with prime, such as zooming and push and pull shots.
Old December 31st, 2006, 06:59 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke
Why not use a zoom lens with the Mini35?
Zoom lenses aren't very fast... and those that are fast are expensive and heavy.
Sam Jankis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 12:15 AM   #27
Regular Crew

So true. My Nikkor 17-35 2.8 ED lens cost close to $2000 and weighs a ton. I've never seen a sharper lens though, not even in a fixed length. Many people share my observations about this particular lens. Otherwise, I would get a set of primes for this application, especially in the longer focal lengths.
Joe Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 05:38 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Winchester
So true. My Nikkor 17-35 2.8 ED lens cost close to $2000 and weighs a ton. I've never seen a sharper lens though, not even in a fixed length. Many people share my observations about this particular lens. Otherwise, I would get a set of primes for this application, especially in the longer focal lengths.
Any other suggestions? I am trying to getg a zoom that can range more range, such as 24-85 etc. I am doing soe push and pull shots and I want as much range and flexibility and also not lose too muchb light, especially sinc eI am alreayd losing 2 stops with thie Mini35.
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:56 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Nikon Lenses & Mini 35

For people who are interested I made a page with some info on Nikon Lenses and the Mini 35 - just a few lens tests and some basic info for the newbies on how the whole thing works. I may cross post it.

Hope it's helpful:

http://www.pixelmill.com.au/Mini35
John Colette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #30
Major Player

Thanks a lot, great info, you've put together some nice lenses, have you shot them wide open? Regareds, Oleg
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods