Nikon Lenses & Mini 35 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 10th, 2003, 01:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Which Nikon primes to buy for the mini35

For anyone who has had experience with a mini35 / Nikon combination setup, can you give me any advice on which Nikon lenses to be looking for? Does anyone actually sell "sets" of Nikon primes, or do I just need to look for them individually?

Also, how much should I expect to pay? It seems like the 1.2s - 1.8s are significantly more expensive than the 2.8s from what I can tell, but I'm afraid those would require too much light when combined with the mini35...

Another question - can I substitute brands (Sigma, etc.) as long as they've got a Nikon mount?

And finally... what size mattebox should I be looking at for this setup (4x4?) and what are the different ring-sizes I might need. This may depend on which Nikon lenses I get, but if you've got any hints...

Thanks!

Matt
Matt Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 01:40 PM   #2
Warden

Nikon lenses are sold individually, not in sets. Remember, they are made for 35mm still photography and though they can physically fit video and cine equipment, they have different characteristics. If you search this topic you'll find the posts of several people using Nikon lenses with the mini 35.

I would not substitute other brands, optical quality will suffer. If you are looking for shallow depth of field, opt for the lowest F-number you can afford. DOF is directly related to F-number (diameter).

A 3X3 matte box will fit most lenses, large telephotos and some zooms may require a 4X4. Depending on the lenses, the front element may rotate, so you may need a matte box with rails.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 05:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've found a few posts where people have referred to using the Nikons, but haven't seen anything where people have given any specifics as far as which lenses they've used, how they've worked for them, etc, so I'm posting hoping that I can get some specific feedback from the people who do have them (or have used them!)
Old May 10th, 2003, 05:40 PM   #4
Warden

Matt, your thread from back in December and Jim Giberti reply is probably as good as it gets. I've read Jim's post on other forums and i would say he's the expert with regard to Nikon lenses on the mini 35. You might try talking to the folks at ZGC and see if they know of any other customers (other than Jim) that are using Nikon lenses.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 09:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks. I emailed Jim as well to see if he could give me some more info on the specific lenses he's using. I'll definitely let y'all know if/when I take the plunge.
Old October 15th, 2003, 01:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Nikon To XL1 Adaptor

Has any of you used a Nikon photo lense on the Canon XL1? Does the adaptor (made by xl1solutions) actually produce a 2x focal-length conversion effect?
Jason Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2003, 02:05 PM   #7
Sales: Reflecmedia

Hello Jason,

This topic has come through many times actually.

The first answer is no, compared to the AoV of a Nikon lens when used on a 35mm frame to the AoV when utilised on a 1/3" CCD there is an approx. 7.2x effective change. This is an immutable law of physics without using optics in the adapter to compensate.

Optex has been making this same adapter since the inception of the XL1 series and has a long history of making quality lens mounts. I would consider that version before others.

The results you will get are fantastic. You do receive an increase in the lines/mm resolution of the XL1s. The lenses are shifted towards the telephoto as far as their AoV is concerned so it is not a good solution for shots where you want to be close to the subject.

mizell
Old January 20th, 2004, 09:17 PM   #8
Major Player

Nikon Primes

Hey y'all. Been on the run for quite a while and haven't stopped by. How's it going Mizell?

I remember seeing a post a while ago from Charles P. regarding useing still primes with the P&S...something about their being more of a novelty, and I wanted to post a quick response.

I have nothing but respect for Charles and his experience and work, but I do differ in my opinion in this regard. Of course I'm assuming that he's referring to use in more professional environments and situations like the ones he's used the system.

However, having started with Zeiss primes with a rental system for some commercial work, and then getting the Nikon adapter as well as the PL adapter with my own system, I can say, from an optical standpoint at least, that they are equal in my comparison.

Of course they don't have distance markings, nor do they accomodate a follow focus system. You can get custom follow focus gears made for you primes however.

More to the point, if you are going to own this system, it's crazy, given the negligeble cost of shooting miniDV, not to have lenses avaiable to shoot and grow with the system as much as possible.

The difference between a set of the best Nikons and a equivalent set of say Zeiss SS (Cookes would be that much more prohibitive) is tens of thousands.

To me at least, still primes are what make this system viable, and you can always rent cine primes as bigger budget work allows.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2004, 09:24 PM   #9
Major Player

Oh, I remember why I was posting <g>. I meant to mention that I'm back in town and hoping to edit a short promo piece this week that I shot this Fall using the Nikons.

I'll post a link to it as soon as I finish it. I mention this particular shoot because it was a real "run and gun" situation...a last shot to get the perfect fall colors in the setting sun, moving subjects, about 10 quick scenes in about an hour and a half...all hand held. I think I just grabbed the 50mm and 85mm for all of it.

I haven't seen the footage since I shot it, so hopefully it will be a good example and not prove Charle's point <g>.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 09:48 AM   #10
Sales: Reflecmedia

Happy New Year Jim

Good to hear that things are busy :)

I'm sure we all look forward to seeing the footage. Ahhh, fall in Vermont...to bad it has to become winter.

mizell
Old January 22nd, 2004, 02:23 AM   #11
Wrangler

Hi Jim, looking forward to seeing your results also.

I should clarify that I don't see the use of still lenses as being a novelty--I do agree that optically they are more than worthy. It has more to do with the issues presented by obtaining the shallow focus that is so desired by DV filmmakers, in that working with a lens longer than 50mm at a T2 requires really skilled focus pulling, and that becomes even more challenging with a still lens. Certainly having the ability to attach gearing to the lens will help, if you also have a follow focus. But there is also the issue of breathing during focus racks and the question of appropriate zoom lenses from a mechanical standpoint.

When the DVX100 came out, quite a few people posted about the strobing issues with 24p--"how do I keep this from happening?". Now that the attention has turned to shallow focus, I wonder if some of those who have put together a system and set out to shoot their masterpiece find themselves in the edit with a lot of soft footage. I'm a little surprised we haven't seen too many posts along the lines of "how do I keep someone in focus if they are walking towards the camera?"

I think that the application of still lenses will be an interesting one, and there is no question that it is possible to make lovely images with this sort of setup--I'm just suggesting that it is making an already tough task that much tougher. I spent the last few days on a Panavision 24-275mm zoom, mostly shooting closeups on a dolly between 200mm and 275mm at around a T4, and even with a skilled camera assistant we had our share of focus problems. If that same guy had to manage those same shots with a Tamron 28-200 still lens and his hand on the barrel, I think he might have disappeared at lunch...!
Old March 4th, 2004, 11:57 AM   #12
Major Player

Nikon lens ideas?

Hey,
any suggestions for odd nikon lenses that might parlay into neato mini35 lens-kit additions? that anamorphic lens see other thread prompted my question... also for primes which fast lenses are recommended other than the faster the better... looking forward to messing around!

Josh
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 03:43 PM   #13
Major Player

this is a great Nikkor resource

other links to primes and zooms can be found at the bottom of its page

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...kor/35mm14.htm

the basic thing according to Guy Genin is to make sure the rear element of the lens you choose is large - see my post on this

the mir site shows lens specs so you can judge the rear element size for yourself

also remember that more aperture blades mean better bokeh

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 11:00 PM   #14
Major Player

thanks! that's a great site.
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2004, 05:45 PM   #15
Regular Crew

The 55mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor lens are good ?

Hi !
Somebody tested the mini35 with a Nikon micro-lenses ?
The 55mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor lens ?
Its for the mini35 !
& also a long focal range like +-135/200mm, but I do not know if that will work well ?

I would like to film very near and by far ?
Daniel Limoges is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods