Canon A1 with Letus Flip Enhanced Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 26th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #1
New Boot

Canon A1 with Letus Flip Enhanced Footage

Thought I'd share - this short shot partially with the adapter and partially without (about 70% was done with the adapter):

www.iriscinema.com/the_letter.mov
Spencer Lum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Enjoyed it very much! Great camera work.

I liked the ECOLAB truck that passed by on the street, they are a partner company with my dayjob. :)
Old March 26th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

excellent!!
Paul Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Spencer,

Love the look. How were you lighting the interior with the male and female sitting down talking. Looks great. Its amazing how filmic it looks with the adapter and proper lighting.
Jourdan McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks! Yeah, the adapter makes such a difference. I just shot a commercial over the weekend, and it really made some of the shots.

The scenes where they are talking were lit on the backside with a softbox and the fill on the front was done by bouncing a light off of white foam core.
Old March 26th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Spencer,

not to keep bugging you but in regards to the lighting. Some say softboxes some say kinoflos some say litepanels. As I understand it, its all has to do with what you are doing. But the softboxes look great, is there a softbox that you can reccomend that would be good to start off with for most interior shoots.
Jourdan McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 04:08 AM   #7
Major Player

That's looking great Spencer. I noticed that there was no DP on your credits. Did you do this as well, besides writing, directing, editing, etc.?
Also, did you use the adapter for every shot, also the deep dof outside shots? Thanks!
Steven Fokkinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #8
New Boot

Jordan - I used a Chimera with an Arri 650 in this case. It was relatively inexpensive and it did the trick. One thing worth mentioning is that the ability to sculpt out the light is an important consideration, which is something a softbox is less than ideal for. It makes such a big difference in creating the right atmosphere.

Steven - Yeah, I couldn't fit "Director of Photography" in my titles and I was in a rush when I exported this, so I shortened it. I'll have to fix that at some point. But, yes, I was the DP.

From the beginning to the time she first stands up after the side by side conversation, all but a few shots are done with the adapter (the OTS where he looks in the mirror has no adapter, nor does her first entry into the room at the doorway, and the OTS of him that precedes the CU of the alcohol being poured).

After that point, the shots of him getting out of bed, coming back in to look at the bed, and the last sink shot are done with the adapter. The outside shots have no adapter.
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #9
Major Player

Nice Job Spencer,
How did you find mixing the adapter and the stock lens footage was?
In my experience, the stock is so sharp it is awkwrd to combine the Letus with it (as a result , I mostly shoot with the Letus)
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #10
New Boot

I had the same experience - that the looks don't match exactly, and I dialed down the sharpness a good amount. I think it works fine when there is motivation for a shift - e.g. shooting with one look in one environment and another in a different one or when there is a dramatic reason for it, but I'd have liked to have kept them more consistent if I were doing it a second time around.
Spencer Lum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods