DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Rod system necessary? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/90196-rod-system-necessary.html)

Giovanni Speranza March 29th, 2007 03:34 AM

Rod system necessary?

I'm wondering how can a rod system help to hold the letus and a lens.
The rod systems are not so rigid as i thought (at least the one i tried by a friend) so a simple tilt movement can bend the rods and if it's hard attached to the lens can be the cause of damages.
Or if the rod just holds the lens from the bottom, i don't see the advantages. It will just move up and down depending on the camera tilt, and again can be useless or even dangerous.
Or am i missing something?
Thanks

Ben Winter March 29th, 2007 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giovanni Speranza (Post 650655)
I'm wondering how can a rod system help to hold the letus and a lens.
The rod systems are not so rigid as i thought (at least the one i tried by a friend) so a simple tilt movement can bend the rods and if it's hard attached to the lens can be the cause of damages.

Good lord, what rod system did your friend have?! Any half-decent pair of rods is made of carbon fiber or aluminum and stays completely rigid throughout all range or speed of movement. If your friend's rods bend like you describe, he is way overdue for a reinvestment.

Cavision makes a solid rod system that I used with my letus for a long while. You may want to check them out.

www.cavision.com
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Giovanni Speranza March 29th, 2007 09:26 AM

It was the rod system supplied with his M2. The rods were aluminium, empty....
This Cavision ros system captured me!

But would you recommend to use a rod system or the Letus35 fe + a Nikon Nikkor zoom (all metal) can be safe without a rod system?

And can that cavision rod support system be fixed to a tripod with the normal screw?

Thanks!

Ram Shani March 29th, 2007 10:15 AM

yes rod support is highly recommend

it will hold steady the adaptor and relief the tension on the screw to the lens

is you can put it on any tripod

i recommend you get 50mm lens with at list f/1.4

with the zoom and its f/stop opening you will need a LOT of light indoor

for me the best combination is

letus35fe and Sony v-1

i try z-1 dvx100 hvx200

Ben Winter March 29th, 2007 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giovanni Speranza (Post 650801)
It was the rod system supplied with his M2. The rods were aluminium, empty....
This Cavision ros system captured me!

But would you recommend to use a rod system or the Letus35 fe + a Nikon Nikkor zoom (all metal) can be safe without a rod system?

And can that cavision rod support system be fixed to a tripod with the normal screw?

Thanks!

I can't comment on using or not using rod support with the Letus35 fe, I haven't used it, however I can pretty much guarantee that using a zoom lens with an adapter without rod support is a very bad idea.

The cavision rod support accepts the normal 1/4" or 3/8" screw from any standard tripod.

Cary Lee March 30th, 2007 01:00 AM

If you have to go rods then Cavison has a set..but it is best to get any special order accessories directly from Cavision vs purveyors like BH photo. Which are slower than direct shipment.

Giovanni Speranza March 30th, 2007 04:50 AM

Thanks to all for your very precious suggestions.
I ordered the Cavision rod support.
And by the way i will each month buy a different prime lenses to cover the 18-500 mm range

Mack Fisher March 31st, 2007 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram Shani (Post 650828)
yes rod support is highly recommend

it will hold steady the adaptor and relief the tension on the screw to the lens

is you can put it on any tripod

i recommend you get 50mm lens with at list f/1.4

with the zoom and its f/stop opening you will need a LOT of light indoor

for me the best combination is

letus35fe and Sony v-1

i try z-1 dvx100 hvx200

I wouldnt touch a 1.4 lense, yes its very fast but I think if Im having trouble picking between focusing on the actors nose or eyelash I blew the shot. I shoot tons at f2 and sometimes dip to 1.8 any wider and the DOF just gets to be too much in my opinion

Giovanni Speranza April 2nd, 2007 07:29 AM

I agree. Maybe the advantage of having a 1.4 lens is that you may (and have to) close it a pair of stops, giving the sensation of a more focused image, especially those shooted with wide angle lenses.

Yang Wen October 17th, 2007 11:20 AM

Don't you need a piece to attach the Letus onto the rod? I checked the Adapter Place and they don't sell any accessories for attaching to rods..