ultra basic design. Help please. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 4th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

ultra basic design. Help please.

Hey,

I've been reading over many 35mm adapter plans, and I really need to get one made for the cheap. I do have an old minolta 50mm lens 1.8 I think, and I want to make a very very basic one, just to see experiment. I have a panasonic Gs400, so I've read you do not need to use macro close up filters. What I plan to do is get a 43mm-52mm or 43mm-55mm step up ring, attach those to my camera threads. Then take two cheap uv filters and try to strech a piece of diffusion gel between them, and screw it tight. (probably two 55mm uv filters). Then somehow wedge those two filters in a small section of pvc tubing. (not sure the diameter or length I need) and glue the step up rings to this and then duck tape or glue the 50mm lens to the other end, and try to focus in on it.

Right now I don't want to get into a vibrating gg, but keep it ultra simple for my first one. I also don't mind the grain, I like it. Any suggestions? Any similar ultra cheap designs that are easy to make?
Luke McMillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Use the search tool, you'll find some info.

You LIKE grain? I can understand that with film in photography, but with adapters?!
Joey Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I love that raw look, with the blurry vignetting and grain, some really awesome footage out there that I can't tell from 16mm film. But at the same time It'd be nice to get super clean footage as well. I'm just so confused as which plan to go with for the Panasonic gs400..
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Look up Redrock M2.

They also provide a home-build design and can supply a readymade GG.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #5
Major Player

Another DIY

Luke, if you really want to build it with the parts you mentioned you should look at the original Aldu35 (static) design. Then mount a vibrating motor on it.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/archive/index.php/t-20408.html
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ghlight=aldu35

To find the right distance from mount to groundglass you can look it up here:

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~wes...-register.html

Good luck! And welcome to the madness.
Old April 5th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Luke,

I beleive the simplest way of doing it without difficult fabrication is in the same manner as in Mike Dulay's earlier thread
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=89762

I built a similar one a while back, the details are here.
http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/~smithdm/dof.html

To be honest, the grain was intolerable but made for a nice experiment.

There are some similar versions with a vibrating gg holder like Daniel's from here.
http://www.jetsetmodels.info/news.htm

good luck

Dave
David MD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 01:44 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hey,

Thanks for the replies guys. So many different adapter plans, which one to go with.. haha. I was doing some thinking, and I wanted to avoid the vibrating gg to make the whole project easier. But I thought of something to make it easy, buy a cheap adult stimulation/vibrator just a small little thing that uses a AA battery and duck tape it onto the filter that has the gg in it. I know it sounds crude, but it would be a lot easier for me, and some other people out there that aren't good with putting together electronics and switches, to small motors etc. What do you think? Would it wobble the entire image I wonder... hmm.
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke McMillian View Post
Hey,

Thanks for the replies guys. So many different adapter plans, which one to go with.. haha. I was doing some thinking, and I wanted to avoid the vibrating gg to make the whole project easier. But I thought of something to make it easy, buy a cheap adult stimulation/vibrator just a small little thing that uses a AA battery and duck tape it onto the filter that has the gg in it. I know it sounds crude, but it would be a lot easier for me, and some other people out there that aren't good with putting together electronics and switches, to small motors etc. What do you think? Would it wobble the entire image I wonder... hmm.
:) I admire your creativity Luke, but...you overestimate the simplicity of this project. You need to mount the filter GG in a way that allows it to vibrate free of the mounting to the camera, or it will just shake the entire image. And motors from those adult units you speak of are likely too big for this purpose.

If you take some serious time and effort with these they might actually produce an image you can live with for more serious video projects.
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Linear movement of the GG as you propose can only work if the excursion is locked in synch with the frame rate of the videocamera, so that the GG is in motion with each frame. A wild linear motion will create periodic frames where the groundglass is stationary and there will be an intermittant grain artifact.

There may also be a fixed pattern artifact in the form of lines.

Anything is possible but you are talking about severe mods to your excitement motor to slave it to an AC source and a new design sensor/amplifier/power supply which will slave to one of the video-out sources on your camera.

I think life is meant to be easier.

I momentarily contemplated such an approach (shaking the whole system) with the intention of using the videocamera optical steadyshot to take out the motion and thus deresolve the groundglass by artificially creating the motion of it by causing the image to be scanned across it.

There's no way the steadyshot servos would endure such a workload for any length of time and highly unlikely the response would be fast enough. The videocamera would likely endure only a few seconds longer. It was just a momentary notion.

Last edited by Bob Hart; April 6th, 2007 at 10:12 AM. Reason: missing letters
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hey,

I'm not talking about severe mods here. Just the simplest possible to add some vibration. I'm going to try out that static plan you guys sent me the links to, and on the uv filter that has the gg on it, tape a very small vibrator, some are only the size of a guitar pic etc. I will post my results and see if it works. Nice thing is those vibrators have multi speed settings. Lets hope it all goes smoothly.
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #11
Regular Crew

You want a quite cheap decent and solid DIY static adapter?
Buy them:

1.)Nikon Br-3 Ring(But they are for Nikon lens) $20 from ebay.
2.)Two 55mm or 58mm spacer tube. $16
3.)Static GG holder from Daniel. $20
4.)EE-S focusing screen. $30
5.)A macro coupler ring. $6
6.)Some step-up, step-down ring. $10

$100. I'm sure the quality of this static adapter will be very good.

Maybe you want to use some UV filters to prevent dust sticking on the screen.
Lau Ho Ming is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods