Which one would you recommend? 50mm 1.2 or 1.4? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 15th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Witzke View Post
Another thing.... a little off topic... I have not seen anyone useing any shift lens' with adaptors yet..... the 24PC would create some really cool street scenes.
Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean?
Giovanni Speranza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #17
Major Player

here is a canon shift lens....

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/a...hift_ts-e.html

nikon as well as other brands have them as well..... they allow you to shift the plane of the image up or down while keeping the vertical line in the shot parallel.... like a 4X5 large format camera.... mainly used by architectural photographers ( although not so much since some correction can be made in photoshop now ) here's more info: http://photo.net/equipment/canon/tilt-shift

and here's the ultimate poor mans version: http://www.orbit1.com/dailyphotos.aspx?photoid=785
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 06:32 AM   #18
Major Player

looks like I killed another thread.... bad habbit... sorry!
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Witzke View Post
here is a canon shift lens....

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/a...hift_ts-e.html

nikon as well as other brands have them as well..... they allow you to shift the plane of the image up or down while keeping the vertical line in the shot parallel.... like a 4X5 large format camera.... mainly used by architectural photographers ( although not so much since some correction can be made in photoshop now ) here's more info: http://photo.net/equipment/canon/tilt-shift

and here's the ultimate poor mans version: http://www.orbit1.com/dailyphotos.aspx?photoid=785
I'm not quite sure how this lens would be beneficial in a motion picture/video situation.
Old April 17th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #20
Tourist

I'm sorry, but everytime I hear about lense talk...I get confused.

I'm about to buy some lenses, BUT when I go look on E-bay....I see NIKON or NIKOR FD....or AI....PL.....

...What the heck are those abbreviations? How do you know if you are buying the right lense?

Plus, what exactly is f1.2 and f1.4....

sorry, but if there is another thread with this info...I would appreciate it.
Sebastian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #21
Tourist

Sorry....lens....not lense....
Sebastian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #22
Major Player

google is your friend!

but here's the basics....

F stop or apature is the iris inside the lens.... when all the way open, it's at its lowest number ( like f1.4 ), it lets in the most light and also has the shortest depth of field ( only a few inches in focus). When all the way closed like f22 ( it's smallest hole opening ) it lets in the least amount of light and has greater depth of field ( from right in front of the camera to all the way to infinity ). each number F stop represents half as much light let thru... so, from F5.6 to F8 you'd get half as much light.

Still camera makers like nikon, canon, contax, pentax, olympus etc.... all make/made their own lens's.... nikon and canon are currently the most abundant and market leaders in their product type.....

but.... for a DOF adaptor, you will want a lens that fits the mounts offered by the adaptor maker.... your choices are probably canon or nikon in older non auto focus lens's which are not manufatured anymore. Both are very good lens makers.... and being that nikon's new digital SLR cameras can use the older nikon (nikkor) lens, they still hold there high price. Canon's older manual focus mound (FD or FL) on the other hand do not fit on the newer canon camera bodys... so their price has dropped very low in recent years which makes them a bargain for their optical quality.

Redrock also offers a canon EOS ( the newer and current auto focus lens' ) but the draw back is that you can't change your F stop without some awkward tricks ( redrocks FAQ on there website has more info )

so...... most of the folks here that are going for the best quality for the least amount of money tend to go with the older canon FD or FL lens'... and the 50mm f1.4 FD is the 1st one they get.

I probably stepped over the line when I brought up contax and shift lens'.... but being a professional still photog for 20 years has made me very familiar with still lens'.... and sometimes adapting a lens from one brand to fit on a camera of another brand in a frankinstien manner creats some very cool images.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods