How to tell a lens type... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 8th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #1
Major Player

How to tell a lens type...

For the life of me I cannot find anywhere online where it lists the mount type on a lens. I've never used detachable lenses before and am really liking the look of the M2 adapter. I have done some research and found out what the different 16mm and 35mm mounts are, but when I do a search on say amazon or B&H all I see are the F-stops, the MM of the lens, the maker, and whether it's a prime or a zoom.

How can I tell which mount it is... PL - C etc...

Oh, and when I do a search for these lenses, are they listed under the still camera SLR section or are they in a motion picture type section?

I did try to wiki this and found some info but still need to ask the question.

Thanks!

Last edited by Adam Rench; May 8th, 2007 at 11:42 AM. Reason: added a question
Adam Rench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #2
DVi Contributor

this is a hard one. Over the years, there have been many mounts. Most have faded away, PL Is the most common for all Motion picture cameras POSITIVE LOCK, Arri b mount or S for early model 16mm and early 35mm, C mount for BOLEX, B4 mount for 2/3 video cameras.

Most SLRs are referred to by the manufacturer, NIKON, CONTAX, etc
is this the type of info your looking for?
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply Craig. Yeah that sort of answers my question. I see that on some of the newer Digital Cinema cameras, such as the SI-2K, they are offering the system with a PL mount, a C mount, or a B4 mount. So, I went to Canon's website and the only lenses I could find were EF, EF-S and L lenses... Are these the ones that I should be looking at if I were to get the M2 35mm adapter?

Then I read the post where someone used the M2 35mm adapter and used Nikkor lenses. The only mounts I think I see for Nikon Nikkor lenses are AF lenses.

I'm lost. The only place I see PL lenses is when I do a search on Google and type in PL mount lenses and then I see only used ones. Are PL mount lenses still manufactured?
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Adam:

Most of the time when we are talking about Canon and Nikon lens on the adapters, we are talking about still camera lens, mounted on the adapters.

To give you some idea, I've bought a Nikon 50mm F1.4, a Nikon 100 F 2.8 E Series, and a Nikon 35mm F 2 on EBay, paying about $150.00 for them in various auctions. My Letus will also take Canon 35mm lenses, and I bought a 24 mm F2.8 in that mount..
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:26 AM   #5
Major Player

Wow - so you can actually use SLR still camera lenses then huh? That's pretty cool. I'm thinking that to purchase a PL or a C mount lens then you have to go to a specialty store. I don't think B&H carries those.

Thanks
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #6
DVi Contributor

Its really all about the glass, not the mount. If the light is not correctly going through the lens to the target. the lens is not worth anything. correct.

Most PL mounted prime lenes will start at $2,000.00 plus each. If you have 50,000.00 or so you can start to buy the best set of PL glass in the world. and they will perform superbly the rest of your life if you take care of them. Or they will hold a great deal of their resale value if you decide to sell.

Or yo can do like the rest of us and buy SLR glass off of e-bay at aboout $150.00 per

the W/B per lens may be an issue, the breathing of the focus may be an issue, and the F-stop may be an issue.

Work with what ya got.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #7
Major Player

Sounds good. I'll go with the cheaper route and go with the still SLR lenses. Any preference from Nikkor or Canon lenses?

Also, I wont get a zoom lens so I heard that the breathing wont be an issue if you are using a standard lens. Hopefully that's true.

Thanks again.
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The breathing thing is not strictly true - al lenses breathe to some extent.

I have a bunch of Nikon tests up at:

http://www.pixelmill.com.au/Mini35/

if you're interested.

For a good [and cheap!] all rounder try the Sigma Zooms [f2.8 constant]
John Colette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #9
Major Player

I've heard of Sigma cameras and lenses - never used one before though. I'll check them out. I was also told by a still photographer that he prefers Tamron lenses over Nikkor. Same mount so I think if I choose the Nikon mount on the M2 then I'll probably have a REALLY nice choice of lenses.

I'm checking out your tests now. Thanks for linking them. I like to take in all data first before jumping into anything so I do appreciate it.
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Tamron are fine for stills - but in my experience not too good for cine work - the build quality is a bit rattly - and I had one that the lens elements clunked a little as you acieved torque in the zoom - not in a way that you'd notice with stills - but very much so in a way you'd notice with moving images.

i think the newer Sigmas have a good build quality - althogh there is a tendency since the rise of Digital SLrs for still lenses to become cheaper - more consumer oriented and more....plasticky.

-j
John Colette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods