DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   The difference between Letus35A and FE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/95777-difference-between-letus35a-fe.html)

Orkan Bayram June 4th, 2007 05:34 PM

The difference between Letus35A and FE

So what is the difference between the original Letus35A and and the FE models apart from the "flip" module?

There is a comment on the site says that the FE is much better then the A version. I'm really confused, it used to say that it only has the flip module additionally.

"This unit's quality is much better than Letus35A in image quality. If you plan to get an adapter for HD/HDV camera, I suggest that you get this version." it's the quote from letus35.com

Thanks

orkan.

Ben Winter June 4th, 2007 06:24 PM

Ever since Quyen started building the flip unit he hasn't had enough time/effort to put the same improvements in the non-flip version. All improvements go into the flip version as I understand.

Orkan Bayram June 7th, 2007 03:37 PM

hmm not really satisfied, there must be a comparison test or something like that. We poor people deserve that :)

Andrew Clunie June 11th, 2007 09:12 AM

I was just thinking this very same when all of a sudden i came across this post. i would like to know the differences as well because i don't know if i should buy the 35a or save up longer and invest in the FE.

Giovanni Speranza June 15th, 2007 05:39 AM

The FE is HD. Earlier versions have SD lenses.

Enea Lanzarone June 16th, 2007 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giovanni Speranza (Post 697091)
The FE is HD. Earlier versions have SD lenses.

I don't think you can put it that simply. This may sound as if the standard version isn't suitable for today's HDV cams at all. Information seems to be consistent in that Quyen didn't invest that much time in improving the "standard" version as for the Flip version - that much seems to be true.
However, and I'm saying that not owing a Letus yet, the clips I've seen from the Canon HV20 (being a HDV cam with a very clean and sharp picture) and the standard Letus don't show a too dramatic image degradation in terms of sharpness. On the other hand, I didn't find the Letus Flip's image from HDV cams to be any much sharper.

You may want to check out Chris Barcello's (he's a forum regular I'd consider a skilled videographer) footage to see for yourself.

Oh, and one more thing: 35mm adapter usually don't have lenses themselves, so it can't be said this or that adapter has SD/HD or better/worse lenses. The only optical part would be the achromat lens, which can be replaced easily for an even sharper picture with less chromatic aberrations (in fact Quyen offers the Letus35A with an improved achromat). I guess what Giovanni meant is that the ground glass has been improved on the Letus Flip version.