Most Important Characteristics for an Adapter Lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 11th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #1
Trustee

Most Important Characteristics for an Adapter Lens?

I've been reading a lot of lens reviews but don't know how to value their characteristics for adapter use.

Here are some distinct lens qualities:

Vignetting.
Chromatic Aberration.
Sharpness.
Barrel distortion.

The Zeiss Planar T 50mm 1.4, for example, is exceedingly sharp but has more than average CA. So is this lens a good choice for an adapter, IDK?

Any thoughts on which lens characteristics are most important for adapter use would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I've heard they're fantastic... but haven't seen much. IMO, they're too expensive for adapter use. If I was going to drop some money on 35mm lenses that still breathe, I'd want some tricked out lenses like those from RP Lens - smooth aperture ring and focus gear built-in.
Jon Wolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Wolding View Post
I've heard they're fantastic... but haven't seen much. IMO, they're too expensive for adapter use...
That's my thinking too. I feel like the limitations of HD, sensors, adapters, etc. cummulatively wipeout any difference between a very good lens and a fantastic lens. That's not experience speaking, rather just a summary of everything I've read so far.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods