New DIY HD Cinema Camera Project - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 14th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #151
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose A. Garcia View Post
Going back to the optical part of the camera, I'd like to know where to buy very sharp c-mount lenses. Don't get me wrong, I like the soft movielike look the camera has now but when the adaptor is added, the image will pass through 3 lenses (c-mount, achromat and 35mm lens) and the ground glass so if final image is a bit soft I want the 35mm lens to be responsible for that. The rest must be as sharp as possible.

I don't care if the c-mount lens I choose is a second hand one as long as it's very sharp. In fact, it will be much cheaper if it's used.

Where can I look for it?
Check out this thread, it may have some good information for you: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...hlight=c-mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose A. Garcia
Please, i want to test my debayer algorithm ;)
(in fact, the best would be to have the same sequence in bayer and debayered by micron so i can compare... it might be difficult but there is no point to continue to work on my algorithm if it's bad :))
What kind of debayering algorithm are you using? (spline, bicubic, etc.)Also I would love to see the results if possible.
Jamie Varney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #152
Tourist

Datasheet

Has anyone managed to obtain the Micron sensor datasheet? I created an account on their site and asked for the NDA, but no one has contacted me yet.

Jose, have you seen this page regarding the lens: http://www.micron.com/innovations/imaging/lens ? They have some useful info there as well as few suppliers listed.
Ivan Hamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #153
Major Player

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the link. Yesterday I uploaded all datasheets, manuals and sample codes that came with the board. Page 10 of this thread.
Jose A. Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #154
Tourist

Quote:
Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the link. Yesterday I uploaded all datasheets, manuals and sample codes that came with the board. Page 10 of this thread.
Jose, I looked at the file you uploaded, but it seems sensor datasheet is not there. I looked at all the pdf documents. The datasheet should be something like the document at http://download.micron.com/pdf/produ...31_5100_PB.pdf but with a lot more information (registers, timing, etc).
Ivan Hamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #155
Major Player

Ok, I'll send an email to Micron asking for the sensor complete datasheet.
Old July 15th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #156
Regular Crew

Jose -- what is the reason fixed fps speed cannot be set (or if set, cannot be maintained)? With the Sumix, setting say 25 fps would produce a clip whose properties showed an actual frame rate of say 24.96 fps or some other fractions different from the ideal. Because the RAM-recording clips were quite short, the discrepancy was not great enough for an accumulation to effect sound sync. What sort of discrepancy are you getting from the ideal?
John.
John Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #157
Major Player

Well, the main problem is that I don't have an option to set fps. Framerate depends on the resolution, system clock, gain, shutter... But nothing more. You cannot program framerate.

I mailed Micron asking if it would be possible to upgrade their program by adding an option to set framerate. They didn't answer yet but I don't think they'll do it. That's why I need someone to help me out with this. I need a tool to control all aspects including fps. If you read the sensor datasheet it says framerate is in fact programmable. I just don't know why they haven't included that option.

As I said, I want to stay with this board. I really like it. So now I'm just waiting for someone who can write an application to control the sensor and record the clips.

As for what you said about RAM recording, I can record 2K AVI Debayered to RAM and RAW debayered to disk in realtime with an almost continuous framerate (between 25 and 26fps) with Micron software.
Old July 15th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #158
Major Player

Quote:
Well, the main problem is that I don't have an option to set fps. Framerate depends on the resolution, system clock, gain, shutter... But nothing more. You cannot program framerate.
That sounds the same as with an IIDC camera. The framerate is depended on the amount of firewire bandwidth you want to be used.

But it is possible to trigger the start of a frame externally. I want to use a 1:2000 frequency divider (maybe a simple PIC processor), clocked to a 48000 Hz digital audio word clock.

Maybe that would work with your board as well?
Old July 15th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #159
Major Player

Take, I must admit I'm a bit lost in terms of pure hardware and coding. Anyway if you want me to test options to get those fixed 24fps, just tell me what to do and I'll do it. From what I know about the sensor, I think it's possible to fix framerate via software though. I read it in the datasheet.

I guess it's not so easy but, would it be possible to develop a tool to control the board and record bayer clips? Or maybe adapt you Boom Recorder? It would be perfect if you could do it.

Thanks.
Old July 15th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #160
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Hamer View Post
Has anyone managed to obtain the Micron sensor datasheet? I created an account on their site and asked for the NDA, but no one has contacted me yet.
Same here, I have not received a single email or phone call from Micron. Also Digikey sells the sensor so I emailed them and asked for the datasheet, the response I got just told me to check the part number... I was not sure what they meant by this so I emailed them back verifying the part number, but I have received no response. However; I did manage to get the full datasheet for the MT9T001 sensor from the digikey site, and I assume that a lot of the information is the same.

According to this data sheet the only way to adjust your frame rate is by changing the vertical and horizontal blanking times.

Don’t take this as gospel but according to my math (which very well my be faulty) to get 24fps at 2048x856 with a 96Mhz pixel clock you would want a Horizontal blanking of 21 and a Vertical blanking of 1093. I chose the minimum number allowed for the horizontal blanking to make my math simpler, so many other combinations are possible.

So Jose if you can use the Micron software to write directly to the registers (assuming the registers are the same as on the MT9T001) you will want to do the following:

Write:
0x0015 to address 0x0005
0x0445 to address 0x0006

Be sure to record the values that are all ready there are first so you can change them back later!

One more disclaimer: I am not positive that this is correct; this would be a lot easier with the proper datasheet! :-(

Edit: Here is the equation as I understand it from the datasheet (Trust me, the datasheet is not this straight forward.)

(((HRes*(VRes+Hblank))+(Vblank*(VRes+Hblank)))*(1/Pixel Clock) = Frame Period
So to get the above numbers I use:
(((856*(2048+21))+(1093*(2048+21)))*(1/96000000)) = 1/24

Also, does anyone out there know if there would be a point to using a lager Hblank and a smaller Vblank? It seems to me that by keeping the Hblank as low as possible it would help to reduce the rolling shutter, but I am not positive about that.

Last edited by Jamie Varney; July 15th, 2007 at 11:58 PM.
Jamie Varney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #161
Major Player

Ok... It's possible to change every single register using DevWare from Micron. I'm just a bit afraid to do it, that's all. I'll see if I can get the datasheet for the MT9P031. Anyway I supose I can always reset the sensor to original settings...

Thanks Jamie!
Old July 16th, 2007, 12:05 AM   #162
Major Player

Quote:
Take, I must admit I'm a bit lost in terms of pure hardware and coding. Anyway if you want me to test options to get those fixed 24fps, just tell me what to do and I'll do it. From what I know about the sensor, I think it's possible to fix framerate via software though. I read it in the datasheet.

I guess it's not so easy but, would it be possible to develop a tool to control the board and record bayer clips? Or maybe adapt you Boom Recorder? It would be perfect if you could do it.
Is there not a connector on your test board where you connect the tricker?

As for Boom Recorder, I am still working on getting my own camera to work.

I am still not certain what is wrong with my camera, but the reseller doesn't really want to help me, stating that it is normal that it looks like crap if you use gamma correction. So I will have to design an other way of compensating for it.

From the specification of the sensor, it says that a pixel should be more than 6% off, compared to its neighborhood pixels at 70%, before it is called hot or cold. I am going to measure this as well.
Old July 16th, 2007, 02:52 AM   #163
Regular Crew

Quote:
Ok... It's possible to change every single register using DevWare from Micron. I'm just a bit afraid to do it, that's all. I'll see if I can get the datasheet for the MT9P031. Anyway I supose I can always reset the sensor to original settings...
The registers need to be set each time you power the sensor anyway, so if you do something wrong, just switch off the camera ;)

I took a look at what you got from Micron, they have a pretty neat library for handling their sensors and very well documented... Should be a breeze to program something (and there is a lot of examples source code so you don't have to start from zero).

And thanks for the raw file, my avisynth filter work quite well, but at half the frame rate, so i've some room for improvement here...

Btw, thanks to Juan to point me to some pretty interesting and cheap hardware dev kit, i think you can build a usb/ethernet camera head for something like 500$ (or less, depending on the price of the sensor board). Some software developpement is needed but nothing insurmountable...
Steven Mingam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:54 AM   #164
Major Player

Hey, that sounds great! So for now we can shoot in raw and debayer in post using AviSynth. Perfect! That's a huge step forward! Now he have no time limitations cause raw capture can be done direct to disk in realtime. How do you read the raw files? Is it possible to have a copy of your AviSynth script? We could also modify it so it debayers and encodes to a lossless codec (JPEG Lossless using FFDSHOW i.e.) to save disk space.

On the other side, you say it's quite easy to develop software for the demo board. The problem is that I don't know a thing about coding. It'd be great if you could help me with that. I just need a very simple tool to control all basic aspects (including fps), RAW capture and that's all really.

I mailed Micron and asked for another week for testing. If everything goes ok, I'll probably keep the board but I'm also interested in your usb/ethernet camera head for about $500.

Good news! I've got the MT9P031 complete datasheet! I'm attaching it to this post.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MT9P031.pdf (1.18 MB, 8507 views)
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #165
Regular Crew

There is a plugin named "RawSource" that do perfectly the job, i'll give you everything you need to test it later, i don't have a copy of my plugin here.

For the camera, well, the dev board is 89$ or less (!!) and has everything you need to interface CMOS censors (and i read about a successfull MT9Txxx interfacing) so the price depend of the camera board (325$ here when they had it or 289$ at digi-key...)
But like i said previously its only "theorical"... there is quite some work to get it running...
Steven Mingam is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods