New DIY HD Cinema Camera Project - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 11th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #121
Major Player

Here's another clip. 2k(2.39:1)@24fps.

I know this can make little or no sense to you so I'll explain.

The clip is actually a message for a friend of mine. He's a film student and knows about this project. He's looking forward to shooting one of his short films with this camera once it's finished or at least ready to film.

He's so excited about this that every time we start talking about the camera he says "Come on... Make me cry" (of happiness, of course). He always says he can't believe he'll be able to shoot 2K Digital without having to spend thousands.

So in the clip, the message I write on the piece of paper means "Now you can start crying".

You can download two versions:

http://www.cus-cus.net/dani/Test02-2k.wmv
http://www.cus-cus.net/dani/Test02-2k.mov
Jose A. Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #122
Regular Crew

Very nice footage footage Jose! I keep getting more and more excited about the possibilities!

Anyway, is it possible to tell which FPGA the Micron demo board uses? I am just looking for a part number to get a rough idea what kinda processing power is required.
Jamie Varney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:07 AM   #123
Major Player

I can't upload the demo board manual where you can find all hardware descriptions. You can find it at www.framos.co.uk clicking on "Products", "CMOS sensors", "Demo Boards" and "Demo Camera System".
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #124
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose A. Garcia View Post
What do you mean?
Polling is how often it checks per second, which is done by software in USB I understand, and is one of it's problems that slows down performance, but would yield some better consistency in data-rate. Or, it could be an master timing clock, that regulates the actually speed.

Things are set lower speed, but also made to tolerances. Overclocking can reduce life of the part, and there was something else I can't remember. I'm not saying not to do it, just that things are not as simple as they might seem sometimes.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 04:16 AM   #125
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose A. Garcia View Post
Steve, I can provide you with raw bayer material from my cam. Do you want anything in particular? Resolution? Colors? Lighting?

Just tell me where I can upload it.
Well, anything that could cause problem, lot of color, edges. For the resolution, 1080p, 720p and the ones you're planning to use (but for performances issues, you should _really_ use mod16 resolution).
If you don't have any server space, uploading will be an issue tough... can you access http://dl.free.fr ? It's not overloaded with ads... ("file to send" > "fichier à envoyer")

Thank you very much !
(btw do you have the full datasheet for the micron sensor ?)
Steven Mingam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #126
Major Player

Jose,

Are you using gamma correction on your footage?
Old July 12th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #127
Major Player

No. I wanted to know what the sensor could do by itself. The software does have controls for gamma, contrast, gain, white balance... But that clip's not corrected in any way. I must say I really like the results.
Old July 12th, 2007, 05:04 AM   #128
Major Player

Could you please make one with gamma correction, in low light conditions. Keep gain and bias, etc on 0.

I want to know if what the Pike is doing is the same, I am already doing gamma correction and the company says that that is the problem. Which is completely weird, as everything should be gamma corrected.

Cheers,
Take
Old July 12th, 2007, 05:14 AM   #129
Major Player

Wayne, I'm thinking about adding a big computer fan to the final design to avoid very high temperatures but if anyone knows of a better procedure, please say it. I wouldn't like to loose 900euro and the possibility to shoot 2k because of that.
Old July 12th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #130
Major Player

Take and Steven... I'll shoot something for you asap.
Old July 12th, 2007, 05:56 AM   #131
Regular Crew

Well you are not "overclocking" any hardware device, you are just forcing windows to look more often at the USB port if something's happening... By decreasing the time you react to usb activity you gained a bit of fluidity but nothing will burn because of that. The hardware is still running at the same frequency...

[edit] err, in facts that's totally wrong. The usb master is polling the bus every 1ms (1000Hz)(that's why it sux btw ;)) so that's why they overclock their usb mouses : to get the refresh rate of the mouse at something better than 125Hz, but you are not concerned by this kind of hack, you're not using a mouse . I wonder why you gained something by doing so...
Steven Mingam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 05:59 AM   #132
Major Player

Great then. I was worried about that.
Old July 12th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #133
Major Player

I've been talking with an Omnivision representative. Appart from the sensor and the demo board they offer me different solutions to make the camera portable.

We've been talking about different options but two of them sound very interesting.

One of them includes the board, a minipc fanless embedded system and a small touchscreen lcd. The minipc is really small and it has 1Gb of ram and up to 1,8Ghz processor. It also includes 4 usb ports and a compact flash slot or a 40Gb HDD.

The other option exchanges the minipc for a panelpc, so it includes the touchscreen lcd as part of the whole computer.

The conversation made me think, and I've been looking for mini-itx computers and carputers (computers for cars). I found many different options at very good prices that could be perfectly used to build a standalone camera. Many of those computers boot in just a few seconds and if they just have Windows and the camera software, I think they can handle the capture without any problem.

What do you think?
Old July 13th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #134
Regular Crew

Is this small enough?

http://www.commell.com.tw/Product/SBC/LS-371.HTM
Igor Babic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 03:37 AM   #135
Major Player

Wow! Do you know the price?
Jose A. Garcia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods