DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Brevis & Canon Eos Lenses (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/96416-brevis-canon-eos-lenses.html)

David Zaugh June 12th, 2007 10:15 PM

Brevis & Canon Eos Lenses

curious if anyone is using their brevis with Canon EOS ELECTRONIC Lenses. Meaning any canon lens that has an aperture which is controlled in camera through electronic settings. i am a still photographer, and own a lot of great Canon EOS lenses that work this way. hoping i can use them and not have to invest in manually controlled aperture lenses. also, if you are using the lenses that I have described, what happens to their aperture setting when you attach it to the brevis...do they automatically set to the lowest setting? any information would be great as i am about to purchase a brevis and want to know what sort of adapter to buy. thank you.

Gene Crucean June 12th, 2007 10:57 PM

Jon (I think) on the Cinevate forum mentioned the work around for this is to put the lens on your DSLR, set the aperture and a really slow shutter speed. Take a picture and take the lens off when the camera is still taking a picture.

Sounds crazy to me not to mention a lot more work. I use manual Nikons.

Jon Wolding June 13th, 2007 12:08 AM

I bought used Nikons even though I have two Canon SLR bodies and a handful of lenses.

David Zaugh June 13th, 2007 03:29 AM

Jon & Gene......

Thanks for the reply. Dennis Wood sent me a personal email as well answering all the questions I directed at him. I am ordering my Brevis tomorrow. I am going with the Canon EOS mount for starters, but have already started searching for some manual Nikon lenses on EBAY. Would you mind recommending a particular lens or two that really works well for you. I personally am a huge fan of the seventies style of filmmaking, and as a still photographer always lean towards longer lenses. I was initially thinking of getting a 50mm, an 85mm, and something over a hundred, like a 135mm or maybe even a 200mm. Have you used any longer lenses on the Brevis. Also, are you buying super old lenses or fairly new lenses?

If it is of interest, you can check out my website for photography. Under the personal section you will see stills that relate to my feature, THE MONARCH OF CRYSTAL FALLS.

www.zaughphotography.com

Thanks again for your help.

I look forward to posting test footage as it comes in.

Meryem Ersoz June 13th, 2007 07:20 AM

e-mail eric birger at http://www.birger.com/ - he is working on one of these for the RED cam and canon eos mounted lenses and can give you more information, probably.

David Zaugh June 14th, 2007 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz (Post 696157)
e-mail eric birger at http://www.birger.com/ - he is working on one of these for the RED cam and canon eos mounted lenses and can give you more information, probably.

thanks for the info Meryem....the device looks pretty good.

Eric Peltier June 14th, 2007 06:07 PM

David
I checked out your site, very nice!!
I really like those Paris pictures,
what camera did you use? and retouch workflow?
well done.
e.

Ash Greyson June 15th, 2007 10:30 PM

I have a 20D and several EOS lenses and a Brevis. I also have a nice collection of FD lenses (I do not understand the fascination with Nikons as I feel the FD lenses give a more pleasing look). When I use the EOS mount, I have to put the lenses on the 20D body to set exposure, a real pain in general but many of the EOS lenses are pretty good wide open.

That being said, I rarely shoot EOS lenses anymore on the Brevis because I am in love with the FD look. I have a 17mm F4.0, a 28mm F1.8, a 50mm F1.4, an 85mm F1.8 and a 135mm F2.0 All are Canon except the 28mm which is a Sigma. What I DO like to do is to use the FD lenses on my 20D, you can buy an adapter for like $20. It gives you some funky diffusion and bokeh but I think they look awesome on the 20D.

ash =o)

Eric Peltier June 17th, 2007 02:21 AM

Ash
Any chance you can post some examples?
thanks
e.

Phil Bloom June 17th, 2007 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Zaugh (Post 696094)
Jon & Gene......

Thanks for the reply. Dennis Wood sent me a personal email as well answering all the questions I directed at him. I am ordering my Brevis tomorrow. I am going with the Canon EOS mount for starters, but have already started searching for some manual Nikon lenses on EBAY. Would you mind recommending a particular lens or two that really works well for you. I personally am a huge fan of the seventies style of filmmaking, and as a still photographer always lean towards longer lenses. I was initially thinking of getting a 50mm, an 85mm, and something over a hundred, like a 135mm or maybe even a 200mm. Have you used any longer lenses on the Brevis. Also, are you buying super old lenses or fairly new lenses?

If it is of interest, you can check out my website for photography. Under the personal section you will see stills that relate to my feature, THE MONARCH OF CRYSTAL FALLS.

www.zaughphotography.com

Thanks again for your help.

I look forward to posting test footage as it comes in.

As mentioned before it will be a right pain using Eos lenses with any adaptor. Not having control over the aperture will be quite a compromise. Look in the alternative imaging forums for more info about them.

Dante Waters June 21st, 2007 05:14 PM

hey

hey you know haywire (he's in one of your stills).
One of the guys from prison break...