DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Film with camera picture (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/98227-film-camera-picture.html)

Gilles Debord July 5th, 2007 06:14 AM

Film with camera picture

Hi

sorry for the English but i'm French and i'm not an English expert.

I wish to do a film with photography, i take a picture every seconds and i mount at 24 or 25img/sec like an animation.
which are the errors to be avoided ?
Is there triks ?
I'm working with a digital SLR camera 8 Mega pixels (Canon)
How to obtain a good fluidity ?

Thanks a lot

Gilles

David Delaney July 5th, 2007 08:55 AM

It sounds like you are working on Stop Action Animation. I have done some in the past, the main thing to avoid is your hand in the action. Sometimes in a rush to take the picture and move the character/model to the next keyframe position, I worked too quick and when I was finished there were some frames with my hand in it.

Richard Alvarez July 5th, 2007 09:06 AM

I've done a little bit. I've found that shooting TWO frames each position, allows for smoother movement, and gives you the chance to eliminate unwanted objects.

Svyatoslav Pylypchuk July 5th, 2007 05:29 PM

It's bad idea to use SLR (only 40 000 pictures and death). The best choose is Sony R1. Flickering is major problem.

Chris Barcellos July 5th, 2007 05:32 PM

You dont have to have a high resolution setting on the camera, to the extent your output will only be limited to max of 1920 by 1080 for highest resolution material.

Svyatoslav Pylypchuk July 5th, 2007 06:57 PM

You have to take pictures in RAW format (the biggest size).
It will give you scaling flexibility on post-production(AE) and exact editing of colors.
Hold in a shot an immobile mark on which then will clean shaking (AE > menu animation > Stabilize motion)

Ben Winter July 5th, 2007 07:38 PM

Corpse Bride was shot stop-motion with a Canon EOS-1D Mark II, with Nikon lenses. SLRs are perfect for stop-motion, the flickering issue is from when you leave some settings on auto. The camera should be on full manual.

John Robertson July 5th, 2007 10:20 PM

what is this about 40,000 and death? can you explain a little bit more? I'm also looking for a good cheap camera that can be 100% manual.

Svyatoslav Pylypchuk July 6th, 2007 02:50 AM

Resource of ordinary Canons SLR is only 40-50K (because complicated mirror mechanism). It is 35 minutes of video only. Mark have 100k. In addition Canon SLR does not have a very important function for animation - Live Picture.
Many animation studios use exactly Sony R1.

Gilles Debord November 26th, 2007 02:07 AM

Thank's a lot for the answers.

Gilles Debord October 6th, 2008 06:05 AM

Film with a camera picture

Hi

I'have around 50.000 picture now, what's the best software to do the animation ? I have no idea to that. I wish to keep the higest definition and if necessary down convert it.

after changement the Canon 5D is not killed for the moment, all was taken in RAW.

Gilles

Gilles Debord October 8th, 2008 06:42 AM

Hi

Stopaction HD is really good, but now what to do with 5K picture ?

Gilles

Richard Alvarez October 8th, 2008 08:04 AM

Gilles,

You don't say what Editing system you are using. It might help if you tell us more about that.

Gilles Debord October 8th, 2008 12:36 PM

Hi Richard

Thank's, i use FCP 5, i think to have a solution with StopMotion Pro HD " import the images from the DD to STM pro HD" but i'm not sure for the result.

I have a second question what do with the future Canon 5D Mk II and the 21 Mega pixels RAW, we will be arround 5K not to far Imax ???

But for the moment i have the problem with my 50.000 picture from the normal 5D.

Best Regards

Gilles

Chris Medico October 8th, 2008 12:41 PM

I have the Canon 40D and it does have live view. The shutter rating is 100,000. In live view since you don't move the mirror to take the picture the shutter should last much longer than 100,000.

You can even totally control from a computer over USB. It would be a very good stop action movie camera.