High Definition with Elphel model 333 camera - Page 31 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods > Apertus: Open Source Cinema Project
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Closed Thread

Old February 11th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #451
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurcan Emre
sorry for interrupting but i couldn't understand the reason why you are not using a hd webcam sensor that is ready to connect by usb2 and a laptop to capture directly?

sorry about that if you mentioned the answer before but my english is not very good and i might have missed it...
Because the camera is an networked security camera, designed to be shared over an network, primarily. USB2 is not capable of the multiplexed extension Ethernet is, so you would be limited. Secondly, the chips incorporated don't support it. USB2 is also an notorious processor Hog, as it is designed to be looked after by the processor (more brilliance that slows PC's). At the rates USB2 can work at, it can seriously tax a portable PC device (dropped frames etc).
Old February 12th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #452
Regular Crew

thanks for the detailed expenation :)
Old February 12th, 2007, 02:39 AM   #453
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey Filippov
Finally - got first images from the 353
wow! when you can, post a link
many thanks
Matteo
Old February 12th, 2007, 04:10 AM   #454
Regular Crew

Yes!

..I second that! :)

Thanks!!

//O.
Old February 12th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #455
Major Player

Images are really ugly (so I do not want to post camera IP here :-) ) - the only sensor 5MPix board left I had has a malfunctioning sensor (probably not all he sensor chip pins were hand-soldered nicely) and I did not yet finish porting of all the software (some parts are still missing - like setting the gamma tables).
My goal was to test hardware before going to larger batch, especially interface to the new CPU - PIO, interrupts, DMA. I even had to solve some problems with the new Spartan 3E (vs. Spartan 3) FPGAs to make them work as needed.
So this part works and being built as they are tested so far 10353 can do at least what 333 could. There are some features not tested yet (IDE, USB, fast system bus acquisition) - but that will be done later - in parallel with the camera manufacturing.
Old February 12th, 2007, 11:17 PM   #456
Major Player

PHP in 353

I hope it can make development of the camera interface easier - PHP now works in the 353
Attached Thumbnails
High Definition with Elphel model 333 camera-phpinfo.png  
Old February 13th, 2007, 01:57 AM   #457
Regular Crew

cool I tink is possible to use it to make a database to save the setting
and to load preset ....did you suggest some more spec that can be used with this new capability (php rocks)?
Old February 13th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #458
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo Pozzi
cool I tink is possible to use it to make a database to save the setting
and to load preset ....did you suggest some more spec that can be used with this new capability (php rocks)?
Matteo, there is no database (yet) - just php itself to simplify server(camera)-side interface software. I'm thinking of a number of smaller binaries (instead iof the ccam.cgi) for low-level hardware-related functions with the interface level implemented in PHP.
Old February 13th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #459
Regular Crew

Php...

Andrey,

PHP in-camera - very cool...

..would it be possible to start a in-camera timer that executes a PHP script say every 5minutes or something...taking a photo or doing something else?

Just curious

//O.
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #460
Regular Crew

I believe there are some light Linux distros which can be installed and run from a USB memory stick. Compared to running the OS from a live CD, this would be a way to save camera settings. I imagine though there are a number of reasons why this is not suitable for the job in hand...
Old February 15th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #461
Major Player

Yes, we have one on a 4GB USB stick. The problem is - not all the computers yet boot from the USB stick.
Old February 15th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #462
Major Player

Andrey, how did you install the knoppix to the USB stick?
Old February 15th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #463
Regular Crew

Hi Andrey have you seen that in april will be released the new version of ubuntu (Feisty Fawn project) and also in the same period april will be relesed ubuntu studio http://ubuntustudio.org/
" Ubuntu Studio. A multimedia creation derivative of Ubuntu.

Ubuntu Studio is aimed at the linux audio, video and graphic enthusiast as well as professional."

maybe we can start make a new version of the live cd starting from this distro ....it is more motion picure oriented!
Old February 15th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #464
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Spier
Andrey, how did you install the knoppix to the USB stick?
Spectr (spectr) and Dmitry (d.belimov) - both at our company did that - you may email them directly. I'll ask them to post to wiki.
Old February 15th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #465
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo Pozzi
Hi Andrey have you seen that in april will be released the new version of ubuntu (Feisty Fawn project) and also in the same period april will be relesed ubuntu studio http://ubuntustudio.org/
" Ubuntu Studio. A multimedia creation derivative of Ubuntu.

Ubuntu Studio is aimed at the linux audio, video and graphic enthusiast as well as professional."

maybe we can start make a new version of the live cd starting from this distro ....it is more motion picure oriented!
Yes, we are considering using Ubuntu and actually our partners in Switzerland already tried that. We are eager to donate some hardware and sponsor such development by Ubuntu community.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods > Apertus: Open Source Cinema Project