View Full Version : Gl1 sound...

Joel Landis
May 23rd, 2003, 07:17 PM
I have heard alot of people say that the gl1 has really crappy sound. Is true? Is there any I could do to fix it if it does? Last, where besides ebay could I pick one up?

thanks

Rick Foxx
May 23rd, 2003, 10:00 PM
With my GL1, the audio almost sounds like the microphone capsule was installed facing backwards. The only good audio I get is of every little sound I make with the tripod or the zoom controls. If your subject is more than 3 feet away from the camera, you better plan on an external mic.

I know many people have had good results with the Sennheiser shotgun mics, which can be mounted in the camera's hotshoe. I don't have much experience with the smaller mics, but I've used the ME66/K6 on both my GL1 and my Panny 200 and the audio on that is phenomenal.

Rick

Peter Jefferson
May 23rd, 2003, 11:01 PM
most cams these days use an omnidirection variable gain electret mics due to the fact that the target market is not the "pro end".
In turn manufacturers (pretty much all of em) want the camera operator to be able to be heard as well...

shame really... but the suggestions already made are the ones to consider... you cant go wrong with a shotgun

Ken Tanaka
May 23rd, 2003, 11:42 PM
<<-- Rick: With my GL1, the audio almost sounds like the microphone capsule was installed facing backwards.-->>

Haw! That's so true. Peter's remarks are dead-on. In fact, most on-board camera mics are omnidirectional by design since so many people like to narrate their footage while they're shooting it. ("This is the Leaning Tower of Pisa...as you can see, it's still leaning.")

A good directional mic will take care of this problem.

Joel Landis
May 24th, 2003, 07:48 AM
ok, I am pretty new to this video type thing, so is a shotgun mike on the camera its self or do you like hold it?

thanks!

Joel Landis
May 24th, 2003, 07:52 AM
*mic

Don Palomaki
May 24th, 2003, 08:01 AM
As I recall, the GL1 mic pickup pattern is nominally unidirectional, with highest sensitivity to the front (at 45 degree angles for stereo). While the back directions have lower sensitivity, any noise of the shooter/operator is very close to the mic, so it will be picked up anyway.

The on-camera mic is not a "shotgun," pattern.

Peter Jefferson
May 24th, 2003, 11:48 AM
shotguns have a cardoid egg shape direction... basicaly picking up the sounds its pointing at...

this site has a run down of the different types of mics available...
take a note of the cardoid and super cardoid mics, as these are what shotguns are based on

http://www.bandwave.co.nz/work-shop/recording/microphone%20types/microphone%20types.html

Most DV cams these days run an omni directional mic, however some (Like the panasonics) have an electret condenser mic which is slightly more versatile... I use Pana cams and i have to say the onboard quality is incredible.. deep basses (were talking v8's with fat exhausts) and high end pick ups with no distortion.

have a read here

http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/1995_articles/jun95/microphones.html