View Full Version : Where's Jonathon?

Joe Bowey
August 16th, 2007, 06:43 PM
I haven't seen you on the fourms lately just checking to see if everything id OK.

Scott C. Chambers
August 16th, 2007, 08:22 PM
2nd-Unit just flew in from New York city and boy are our arms tired!!!! "rim shot!!"
I'll have to keep my lips sealed till Jonathan says it is O.K. to talk about it.

Jonathan Ames
August 16th, 2007, 09:29 PM
It's great for Scott to answer. Hard work takes time. Great times are at hand but we've had alot of battles to fight. It seems the industry doesn't believe in independent producers shooting1080p. We, with El Papel, are changing that. I can't tell you how pleased the people who have seen it are. Yes, we still have shots, just a couple, to get it done. But with publications like Hispanic Business behinds us, we're still pluggin' away. The industry is changing every day and the people who know the meaning of a handshake and a good work product are leaving while 20-somethings who can't hit their a** with both hands are being hired to replace the experienced. Go figure. But we're not giving up. It's a great story and the cinematography is wonderful. The website is being really, realy updated, Paolo did a great "Backfocus" job and there are more to come. Hang in there with us. So Scott, chime ion. Yopure a partner now. Answer the question.

Scott C. Chambers
August 17th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Our New York trip consisted of going to the Tiffen Filters company in Long Island. Where we shot our very first "How's it made" type video. We also had the the chance to sit down with Steve Tiffen himself and talk about the 40+ year old family run business. Great! great! stuff here.

Through Paolo, we also were asked by Martin Scorsese's alma marta Cardinal Hayes High school in the Bronx N.Y.. To teach a select group of students from there newly endowed film school. So there we were with our crew fom 2nd-unit with 8 or so students at Tiffen for 2 days. One student took on the interview duties along with Jonathan. And the rest jumped in whever they were needed.Pulling cabels, hauling lights etc... All with a great attitude. I supervised a student for Cam B. for this shoot along with sound. Paolo manning the Steadicam. We Shot the entire manufacturing process except "The Top Secret How The Colours are made" process.

It was truly a great experiance for all who were involved. Two of the students even came up after the last day of shooting and told Jonathan how just these 2 days working with people from 2nd-unit and Tiffen changed there lives!
Even the tough old Marine inside Jonathan had a tear in his eye. It was very rewarding to see how as a teacher you can change someone's life! In just 2 days, simply amazing!

Now if that wasn't enough 2nd-unit was asked to come by Cardinal Hayes and give our opinion on the remodeling and expenditures that were going on for there new fim school. Jonathan went so far as to complete an entire list of equipment and supplies for the new sound stages being built. From what type of camera to how many sandbags were needed. Not a small task for anyone. Once again I have to say what a difference between pratical application and theory makes. Jonathan did a great job of getting the list compiled.

As far as Jonathan goes you never have to ask if he's up to something. That goes without saying. What you should ask is what he's doing today. Everyday is diffent with many irons in the fire as they say.

Scott C. Chambers
August 17th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Here is a link to a story about our trip to Cardinal Hayes;
http://www.cardinalhayes.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=27959&type=u&pREC_ID=25293&title=+Channel++H&un=channelh&rn=8782448

Joe Bowey
August 17th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Well I loved what I saw at nab and paolo did an outstanding job with backfocus on 2nd unit. I might be in California the week of the 17 of september and would love to spend a day shooting or helping out.
Anyways I am glad you didn't drop off the planet.

Jonathan Ames
August 19th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I'm sorry I haven't been on the forum lately. You should know, better than anyone that as the times change, more people jump on the bandwagon. And, at the risk of sounding arrogant which, again, you better than anyone know I'm not, a year ago we couldn't get arrested and today everyone is trying to copy us, most of which are falling on their faces. On the Lot, America's Next Producer and countless web-based enterprises are now trying to do what we've now been doing for over a year. But capitalization in the form of profit drives them where education drives us so the road has been a difficult one for us lately. When Scorsese's people asked us to partner with them, well, that's a step that's going to be hard for anyone to beat. And that door opened as a direct result of Paolo. Scott and Paolo have come along so far so fast that I'm proud to say they'll be an integral part of building the Scorsese Media Center in New York and that in a nut shell tells you what I've been up to. One foot in front of the other always with the young mind as the objective. This, IMHO, is where On the Lot and Producer missed the boat. They never took the time to teach. We've always built 2nd Unit around education because there's no shortcut to filmmaking. So, in short, the 2nd Unit web site will be changing its look as we get back on track on 2nd Unit.

As for El Papel, we're still finish-editing it but look for a 4-part series on it and "The Making Of El Papel" in the December and subsequent months of Hispanic Business Magazine and it's website; something else we're working on. It's simply a long, hard road with lots of bumps but thanks to the people at Sony, Tiffen, Adobe and the rest of our supporters, we're still here. And thanks to people like you as well. The "paertners" on 2nd Unit may come and go but there are at least 3 people who will always keep the education of filmmaking in their sites.

Joe Bowey
August 20th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Your not kidding about everyone jumping on the bandwagon. But for them its a short ride. all fluff and no substance.
I have had a few jobs but this town Phoenix is FULL of CON ARTIST and are ripping people off. Its giving hard working people like me a bad name. I am trying to educate people about the jerks who have you shoot a video with bogus checks or disappear with paying you.
I am struggeling to make it work and these jokers don't make it easier but I am determined to make it.