View Full Version : Upgrading the Mac Pro with non-Apple components

Floris van Eck
August 19th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I am thinking of getting a Mac Pro with Final Cut Studio 2. However, I would like to change the standard Apple Configuration. I want to add RAM (www.crucial.com) has memory that they say works with Apple Mac Pro. Is anyone using their memory in their Mac Pro? How does it work?

The other thing I am planning to add is a graphics card. I want to add the Ati X1900XT. I saw that Asus has one but I cannot find if it works on a Mac. Again, has someone added a new videocard that they did not buy from Apple? I want the X1900XT because Apple recommends it for Touch and Motion.

Finally, which brand of harddrives is Apple selling?

Thanks for you feedback. Greatly appreciated.

Bryan Suthard
August 19th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I use memory from Crucial.com all the time. Most recently with 8Gig and 16Gig Ram in 2 Intel Xservers with great results.

Floris van Eck
August 19th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I learned that the graphics cards that Apple's selling have a special instruction set and the regular versions of those cards won't work with the Mac Pro. It is possible to flash the bios of those cards but I don't want to do that.

What is your memory setup Bryan? I also read on the Apple forums that Final Cut Pro performs best with 4x1GB. But I was thinking about adding 2x2GB to the standard 2x512MB. But I think it will then be better to add or 4x1GB or 4x2GB so both memory banks are matching. A 2x2GB B 2x2GB A 2x512MB

Chuck Spaulding
August 20th, 2007, 01:03 AM
I added 2x2GB RAM to the 2x512MB RAM that came from Apple for a Total of 5GB. It works great.

I was contemplating ordering the MacPro with the cheapest video card I could get and then upgrading to the X1900 but decided to go ahead and purchase the X1900 from Apple. Again, works great with Motion3.

I ordered my system with a 250GB system drive which I was surprised was a Maxtor. I replaced it with (2) 250GB Western Digital [I mirror my system disk to make it safer to install major upgrades] and added two 500GB WD RAID0.