View Full Version : Help! external Hard Disk says "offline"??

Matthew Jackson
August 23rd, 2007, 05:05 PM
Hey guys,

I just went to open final cut pro 4.5 and a little box popped up that said the disk was offline... 3 options...quit... check again... and... reset scratch disk...

tried rebooting the laptop, and remounting the external hard drive, still says it... if I go into the reset scratch disk... at the set option it reads "offline" as well... I have a big project ongoing, and I really don't want to loose my links, but what is the next step for regaining the link or bringing the drive back online without blowing my project?

thanks,
Matt

Dino Leone
August 23rd, 2007, 05:29 PM
Hey guys,
tried rebooting the laptop, and remounting the external hard drive, still says it... if I go into the reset scratch disk... at the set option it reads "offline" as well... I have a big project ongoing, and I really don't want to loose my links, but what is the next step for regaining the link or bringing the drive back online without blowing my project?

thanks,
Matt

Can you see the drive on the Finder? Did you run Disk Utility to verify/repair the disk?

Matthew Jackson
August 23rd, 2007, 05:44 PM
the disk shows up in finder, and you can open the actual mov files, but if you open a project it says offline... not sure what to do... I've been trying to unplug the drive, reboot the computer... etc... nothing seems to get it online inside Final Cut...

If I go ahead into Final Cut and try to relink it from there will there be any issues losing the files? or is it like Premiere, where you just repath the files?

Edward Carlson
August 23rd, 2007, 06:23 PM
This happened to me when my scratch disk got unplugged while FCP was open. Reset the scratch disks, then go into the preferences and change it back to your external. Quit and reopen (without saving) and the media will probably be back online. If not you can reconnect media and get all your files back online without losing any (as long as you haven't deleted the originals.)