View Full Version : FCP mpeg ts export

John C. Plunkett
August 28th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I've got an issue that I need some help resolving. I don't even know if this is the right area.

I'm trying to encode a muxed mpeg ts file out of my mac. Right now I don't have a way to do this and I'm more or less encoding mpegs out of BitVice and sending it over to a PC where I'm using Elecard XMuxer lite to transcode the muxed mpeg to mpeg ts.

Is there any way I can do this right out of the box in FCP/Compressor or am I kinda forced to use a third-party converter?

David Tamés
August 28th, 2007, 03:01 PM
You can create a custom preset in Compressor selecting the "Multiplex MPEG-1/Layer 2 Audio" from the "Extras" tab in compressor and Compressor will create a "m2t" MPEG file. I just did this using Compressor 2 on a MacBook Pro. Another option is to use the MPEG Streamclip (http://www.squared5.com/).

John C. Plunkett
August 28th, 2007, 03:54 PM
What version of Compressor?
I have 1.2.1 and didn't find an "extras" tab.

David Tamés
August 28th, 2007, 04:00 PM
I'm using Compressor 2.3 right now, the "Extras" Tab is right there in the Inspector window. It's staring at me right now. Double click on any of the MPEG presets to start with, and you'll see the Inspector window come up.

Greg Boston
August 28th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I'm using Compressor 2.3 right now, the "Extras" Tab is right there in the Inspector window. It's staring at me right now. Double click on any of the MPEG presets to start with, and you'll see the Inspector window come up.

Yes David, it's one of those hidden gems that most folks don't know about. I even saw an online software review recently that claimed Compressor couldn't make a muxed (transport stream) file. But we both know that's not true. I actually stumbled upon that setting while going over all the tabs one night to see what they did. Interesting that not one of the Compressor presets utilize this. I guess they figure you'll be doing DVD's with MPEG2 and that audio will have to remain separate.

I'm not sure the earlier version mentioned by John has this feature.

-gb-

Tim Dashwood
August 28th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Here's the way I do it when I've been working in an intermediate codec:

Just setup a new compressor preset in compressor by duplicating the Apple one labeled "HD MPEG-2 19.0Mbps." It is in the DVD-->HD DVD: MPEG-2 30 minutes section.

Now click on the encoder settings on the copy and select the "quality" tab. Reduce the average bit rate to 16Mbps and the max bit rate to 19.2Mbps.

Click the "Extras" tab and checkmark Multiplexed MPEG1/Layer2 Audio and select "transport stream" radio button.

You can now rename the setting as "19.2Mbps TS" and save it.

Encode your quicktime into a m2t.

Here's how I do it if I captured and edited in native HDV:

"Print to Video" and record the sequence to HDV tape.

Recapture with DVHSCap or HDVxDV as a m2t.

Done.

John C. Plunkett
August 29th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'll be upgrading to Final Cut Studio 2 sooner than I thought.

David Tamés
August 29th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'll be upgrading to Final Cut Studio 2 sooner than I thought. You will not regret it, there are lots of nice new features in the new suite you'll enjoy, more than worth the modest upgrade fee.